Sign in to follow this  
Jumo

Near disastor with cable for rear lift

Jumo

When I moved in the house I’m living in now I struck a deal with the PO to purchase his 520H. I wanted it because he had a tiller hooked up to it. I liked my C100 so much I figured the 520H must be a dream. I was right. I’ve now got a big garden thanks to the tiller and I’ve been looking for more toys. I recently had the picked up a cultivator, disc and plow for my 520H. All of them are Brinly sleeve hitch implements. I first hooked up the cultivator and noticed the unit got stuck in its up position. The PO had only hooked up a cable directly to the tiller and never got a rock shaft. I figured the lack of a rock shaft must be my problem and it was causing my cable to get hung up. So last weekend I decided to make a rock shaft and set up the cable lift correctly. Well after some digging into the project I found a mess. The cable wore completely through the guide tube and began cutting in to the hydrostat.

2012-06-03120127.jpg

Besides all the wear that’s obvious from the cable rubbing, look where the arrow is pointing. It is about 5/16†deep into the casting and began touching the case bolt. I’m not sure how much longer I could’ve went before I dropped all my fluid.

2012-06-03120218.jpg

Here’s a shot of the guide tube. This is where it wore through and started chewing at the casting.

2012-06-03120208.jpg

This is the wear I could see with the guide tube still installed. At first I thought it was a split tube.

2012-06-03122658.jpg

This is the replacement guide tube I made.

2012-06-03120239.jpg

This is the rockshaft I fabricated

2012-06-03120232.jpg

Here’s a shot of my homemade sleeve hitch.

I saw some guys have just hooked up the cable directly to the implements. You may want to keep an eye on it. I tested it this morning and my set up works like a charm. I cultivated my garden and now its time for the 520 to get a bath.

Kelly

I just this weekend pulled a rockshaft and lift cable off a eaton trans tractor, the lift cable wore all the way through the cable tube also, almost split the tube in half from end to end, it cut into the pump case but no leaks so I guess this one was caught in time also.

Sparky

If the hydro isnt leaking maybe its time to fill the grove with some JB-weld.

Mike.......

Don1977

It might be time to reengineer that a couple of small pulleys to keep it off the pump case.

1maidenfan

Nice fabrication work :omg::notworthy: :text-bravo:

smoreau

It's amazing how much a cable can cut through and not show any wear. I have often wondered if the cable would do that to a lift tube. Nice fab work on the rock shaft and hitch! :handgestures-thumbupright: