Sign in to follow this  
rick

48" deck will not go in highest cutting position

rick

I have posted this problem before, and thought I had solved the darn thing. My '90 416H came to me with a '93 model 78360 48" deck. When I got it home, I found the deck level rod was not installed correctly. Long story made short- when the deck is adjusted properly front to rear, the height adjustment lever on the deck will not go in the highest cut level hole. If I move the front of the deck down to about 1/2 inch low(more than the suggested difference of 1/8 inch high) and it will go to the highest cut okay.

I need some help here, I am an engine and transmission guy with electrical troublshooting experience, but I have problems comprehending this deck suspension arrangement. If I mount the deck on another tractor, the situation doesn't change, so it must be in the deck suspension somewhere.

I hope there is someone with the knowledge to help me, it is probably something simple I am overlooking.....

dsholler

This is no help at all, but my 99 vintage one has what I think is the same problem.

can whlvr

check the trunnion at the rear,you may have it cranked too tight

BOWTIE

RICK, I HAVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM ON TWO 48" DECKS. IF YOU TAKE THE DECK OFF AND PUT IT ON SAW HORSES DO YOU HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. IF SO IT IS THE REAR TRUNION ADJUSTMENT. SOMETIMES THEY JUST WON'T ADJUST TO SPECS. I ADJUSTED MINE AS CORRECT AS I COULD AND STILL BE ABLE TO SET AT HIGH SETTING. HOPE THIS HELPS

BOWTIE IN OHIO

rick

Thanks for the replies, fellows. It seems Wheel Horse/Toro Wheel Horse had a problem! Now I am wondering if there was service bulletin on the problem? It seems that can whlvr and BOWTIE have a work around, and I will try that, but the engineers should have come out with a fix. We are talking high dollar machines here, folks, bought by well off people with an appreciation of quality. I don't believe they would have accepted the problem. I may just be on a rant, tough, so I will do the adjustment and check quality of cut.

Thanks again!

I would like others with the same problem to post here, too....

Edited by rick

bk-scouter

I have also experienced this problem with my 48" deck after the prescribed adjustment was made. Now, instead of setting the gauge wheels in the middle hole as outlined in the manual, I set it in the next hole higher then proceed with the deck adjustment. I found that I can then reach the high setting hole with no problems. Hope this helps...

-BK

rick

Update- I loosened the rear trunnion enough to put the adjustment lever pin in the #5 hole and cut the grass. Looks good, no "dishing out' like I was afraid I would get. I moved the transport height lugs up so as to get the rear of the deck higher in transport position, and WHAM! same problem showed up. At least I can cut around the pond and beside the driveway without as much worry about hitting a rock, etc.

I still want to find a service bulletin, if any are available

@ds-holler maybe we can get 'em adjusted now!

@bk-scouter I will try that next time I have the mower in the shop...got to prep for tommorrows colonoscopy, just an every ten year preventive thing at this point!

Thanks to all !

Edited by rick

can whlvr

i dont have a 48er,but many 42,s and without a little adjustment havnt been able to get her to work properly,i would find a good medium for the trunnion and the lugs,so both work,i would rather be able to lift the deck and have all the adjustment than have hi travel height,ive never heard of a recall or a service bullitien,maybe someone who knows of this will chime in,but from expeience something isnt totally adjusted right on your deck

rick

I think it is totally impossible to adjust this deck right, and it seems that I am not the only one with the same problems! I too have 42" decks, and they work properly on this tractor. This 48" inch deck acts the same way on my '97 314-8. If I were still a drinking man, I would sit down with a half gallon of Early Times and probably figure this thing out.

At any rate, I can now put it in the highest cut, and it cuts nicely in hole #4 . Believe me, I have tried to adjust this deck by the manual that came with it, and it won't work. bk-scouter has a good idea, and that may have been how I did it last year. It is what it is....

Thanks to all for the input

Don1977

I level my 48 deck and back the trunnion off one round as the book requies and It would not go in the highest setting. Back the trunnion around two more times before I got it to

latch in the highest setting.

rick

Sounds familiar, Don