Sign in to follow this  
coldone

Think i found The D200 problem (teaser pics)

coldone

Vids postponed until tomorrow. Everything is ok. wifey says I have to take her out tonight. But i did get to mow wirh it.

jay in nc

thats great news, when can i bring you my D-160? im so glad to see Ds come back to life.

1maidenfan

:woohoo: :happy-jumpeveryone: :text-bravo:

coldone

Got a little time for some write up.

I left off at just having reassembled the cylinder assy and installing it on the shaft. I started the day off by cleaning all the old shelac off of the housing. It was everywhere. I found that the carb cleaner I had would disolve the shelac. I put the housing back on and performed a final check of the accel valves before I installed them. A final cleaning and off to the shed to put it all back togetner again. The motor to tranny gasket was glued on with the same shelac so i had to get it off being very carefull not to get any pieces into the trany. I had pulled the entire rearend to get the motor off so most of the day was spent putting it back in. Once everything was back together I fired it up and let it idle with the wheels off the ground so it could prime itself with no load. the pressures during this were pretty much the same as before until I checked the implement stroke. The gauge jumped up to 750-800psi! (remember that I left the homemade third shim in). I turned it off and dropped it back to the ground for the test run.

The test run was great. The preesure stayed above 50 psi all the time and the tractor felt like it had power. The test run was short about 5 minutes. I was satisfied with the operations so I pulled the deck out from under the d160 and put it on the 200. I left the pressure gauge in place and started mowing. I did not have any problems at all while mowing. The needle was jumping around due to vibration but would dampen down whe i held the gauge. It was still holding above 50 psi after 30 minutes of hard mowing. Since the pressure gauge i am using is 1/4 MPT it has to go where the temp sending unit goes so I was unable to see the temp. When I got through (about 45 minutes total) I felt the hard lines they wernt bad at all. Hot but water didnot boil off when applied so they were less that 212F (100C).

A few things i noticed:

1: When applying the brake with coldish oil. It will throw you out of the seat :D

2: When going slow and you are making sharp turns the tractor has a tendency to slow down also noticed when this when going up small hills in the yard. The pressuer never dropped below 50psi and a small bump to the Motion control lever corrected for speed. So I think this is normal for a hydro system.

3: The D200 Is very much a beast!

I am not sure if the accel valves had a clogg or not or if resurfacing the valve plate and cylinder block fixed the problem. Personally I am going with the resurfaceing. There were a lot of deep scores in both pieces. Seeing that these two pieces seal together with nothing more than close tolerances I belive the scoring allowed too much oil to bypass going into the cylinders. No oil presssure in the pistons and there is no movement.

I am not going to fool myself in thinking this tractor is totally fixed. I believe the pump is going to have some scoring in it also. I just want this for mowing duty now. So I plan on pulling the pump this winter and checking it out.

ETA: The implement pressure with hot oil dropped to btween 600-650PSI. I made a lead washer for the sealing washer on the manifold bolt. I will be checking this for leaks.

JamesBe1

Great writeup. I'm glad to see that you are back in business.

I would like to get a pressure gage and see what the performance of my system is like. It would be nice to have a hydro pressure gage as part of the dash panel to let you know how well your system is working. Too bad they didn't design that in at the factory. At least they put some gages in and didn't go the way of using idiot lights as was very prevalent back in the day.

Maybe I'll go crazy and pimp mine out with extra gages to show engine oil temp and hydro pressure. EGT would be great too to - I think one of mine is running on the lean side, and that would be be best way to adjust it.

can whlvr

thats good news that she worked,as far as slowing some on hills thats completely normal for any hydro ive ever used,and i have 3 right now,do a write up when you do the pump for sure :thumbs:

Trouty56

Only a few months ago a bad hydro was just that....now the options are very different. :)

coldone

thats great news, when can i bring you my D-160? im so glad to see Ds come back to life.

Depends on what you bring with it ;)

I could use a better deck.

But seriously we will have to get together and get it done.

coldone

Here are a few pics of the motor and cylinder assy. Nothing special just wanted to post some for those that have not seen the insides.

post-4784-0-70955000-1338777857_thumb.jp

post-4784-0-60975300-1338777927_thumb.jp

wheeledhorseman

I've been away for a few days so missed all of the excitement.

Great stuff, and excellent account and photos. :thumbs:

The really encouraging thing is that you've shown that it is possible to deal with pretty deep scoring when the manual describes it as a terminal condition requiring new parts.

Andy