Sign in to follow this  
Maineiac

No electrical power 97 520h

Maineiac

I was attaching my newly acquired 60" deck, started the tractor to move it. A few minutes later I tried to start it again and NOTHING. No dash lights, no clicks, just nothing. Checked the battery and battery connections all good. No blown fuses. I read through the threads and saw members talking about the 9 pin connector and the safety switches, but most of the threads indicated there was some power or blown fuses. I have neither. I have had zero symptoms leading up to this point. I was thinking possibly ignition switch..?

Any thoughts?

CRE1992

Clean the grounds, look for any burnt or broken connections. Also check the solenoid as the power travels from the positive post on the battery down to one side of the solenoid where it meets up with the power that goes to the fuses and then to the ignition and etc.

Kelly

The heavy red feed wire in the 9 pin conector if it burns you will have no power to anything, two of the ones I have fixed did not blow a fuse

Maineiac

I will double check the wiring to the 9 pin again in the morning. All the pins are in good shape with no corrosion noted. Didn't see any obvious signs of burned wire or shorts.

Operator

Yup check the big red wire! One side or the other by the connector under battery tray. Cut it and butt it!

dbartlett1958

On my 416-H, the red wire to the start relay had a bad/burned connection at the relay, which caused similar issue.

Maineiac

Thank you all for the advice. I printed out the wiring schematic , followed all the suggestions above and worked my way though the electrical system. The issue ended up being a connection on the ignition switch. Not sure which connection, but after removing testing and cleaning the switch, the 520 came back to life effortlessly.

Kelly

Glad it was a easy fix, I would recomend buying some dialectic grease made for elect. connections and cleaning all the connections on the tractor and appling some grease to them.

CRE1992

I had the same problem with the 418A I just picked up, at the moment she and I have a love hate relationship going on, but when all is said and done, I know I'll love her. I kept losing electrical power and the gauge read 0V so I went through her and found it to be the key switch and I replaced the plastic connector with water resistant crimp on connectors and slid them on. I had the quick connects lying around and that plastic piece costs $5 from toro...