Sign in to follow this  
darren

Opinions on Toro 216 or Ransomes 180

darren

Does anyone have any experience of these triple mowers? I regularly mow our couple of acres which is nice and flat. I use a 42" WH deck to keep it in trim but reckon a quicker way to regularly keep on top of it and give a beautiful finish coulld be with one of these 90" machines. They're pretty plentiful over here in the UK, seem well-proven and the gas version I'd be looking at uses the ubiquitous Magnum engine; something which would make servicing and maintenance a simpler process, as parts would be interchangeable with my Wheelhorses, main drive and reel iift is hydraulic, with belt-driven reels.

post-5076-0-37837800-1337513377.jpg

It's got an equally well-regarded competitor here in the form of the Ransomes 180 however. It uses a 16HP B&S vanguard (or Kubota diesel), also hydraulic drive and lift with belt driven reels, has a 90" cut and has the added benefit of the wing mowers folding vertically; something which would greatly assist storage.

post-5076-0-12546800-1337513390.jpg

Being a UK machine, the Ransomes parts may be easier to come by I suppose, although I don't think there's too much in it. My heart is telling me to stay with Toro and a machine that seems a little cheaper, but common sense keeps nagging at me that the Ransomes, although a different engine that doesn't give the impression of being as advanced, is likely to be more practical.

I'd be especially interested to hear if anyone has used either of them. :)

bowtiebutler956

I don't have any experience with those particular machines, but reel mowers do a very nice cut when they are sharp. :thumbs: I did just pick up a Toro Groundsmater with a 25hp mitsubishi diesel, and a 72" deck the other day, because I too needed something bigger to mow the grass with. I'm fixing it up right now, but when its done it should really mow some grass! :woohoo:

Matt :flags-texas:

post-6076-0-81645800-1337559489.jpg

Kelly

I would google them to see what one has the best rep. as far as standing the test of time and problem issues.

darren

Thanks guys. They seem to be much of a muchness. I'm going for floating heads because although the ground's flat, it's not suitable for the PGA tour :) I think I've come down on the side of the Ransomes because it's more compact Why oh why didn't Toro make their early triple mower reels fold?!