Sign in to follow this  
dsholler

Starter in Trouble? Or just in need of TLC?

dsholler

Forgive my lack of mechanical prowess on this one, but my 414 is the only device outside my car that has a starter, and I know nothing about them. This past week, the starter on my tractor failed to work. You could here the solenoid move (it is brand new a few weeks ago) and you could hear the starter spin, but it was not turning the engine..

Is this a sign of impending doom? Something I can just take apart and clean?

the good news is if you bang on the shroud (is that the right word for the metal cover over the starter and the other stuff on the back of the engine? ) it seems to free right up and work.. I was told this starter was replaced 3 years ago, but from the looks of the shroud, it has been banged on quite a bit.

It does seem to happen a bit more when things are hot, but just today it did it first time out.

Any and all advice/directions/pointers to previous posts where someone has already answered this question would be appreciated...

Dan

can whlvr

well you should take it apart,clean it,check the brushes,regrease with proper grease,sorry dont remeber the name of it,and see if it helps,dont hit the starter too hard or you will break the magnets inside,my 414 did this and cleaning helped but eventually i put a new one on and it works great,but try to clean her up first

bowtiebutler956

Your Bendix is sticking, most of the time you can take the starter off, and you will see the gear, and the shaft it rides on. Simply clean, and lubricate it a little, and most of the time this will take care of it. :twocents-02cents::thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

JackC

I would clean the contacts (I use a file and emery cloth) on all wire ends and battery, key switch, and starter terminals.

Oxidation can impeded current flow and prevent sufficient voltage from the battery through the circuit to operate the starter.

If you don't do this you can wind up chasing your tail and replacing things that are OK.

I have run into this several times where just the cleaning solved the starting problems.

mrocket49

Your Bendix is sticking, most of the time you can take the starter off, and you will see the gear, and the shaft it rides on. Simply clean, and lubricate it a little, and most of the time this will take care of it. :twocents-02cents::thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

This worked for my 12 hp Kohler as well. Don't put too much lube on the shaft or it will just attract more dirt.