Sign in to follow this  
stevebo

How to test relay and safety switches on 95 520H? No Start?

stevebo

I have a 95 520H that has been running great. Every once in a while I needed to jiggle the forward/reverse lever on the colum in order to get it to start. I know that was to ensure the tractor was in "neutral" and it activated the safety switch. Now it no longer works. I "jumped" the seat switch and still nothing. When I turn the key to start I can hear power going to the relay switches under the battery and can feel the clicking on the middle and right side relay but not the left side.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to test or bypass the neutral safety switch? How about the relay switches? Any help would be appreciated.

ps- my test light and volt meter is on my boat in the tool box so that is a problem...

smoreau

It should be a micro switch behind the panel under the dash. there is a arm that is connected to the control arm that fits in a grove that makes you push down on the lever to go into reverse. that is were the switch is located.

stevebo

I found the switch however it is a 3 wire and not sure how to bypass it?

JackC

I have seen all kinds of similar problems.

Trouble shooting without a meter and wiring diagram will be more difficult.

In one case cleaning contacts at the battery terminals solved the problem.

In another case cleaning the relay sockets with a small file solved the problem.

In another case replacing the key switch solved the problem.

Almost all of the electrical problems I have run into turned out to be oxidized contacts and not relays or switches.

Oxidation will form on contacts over the years and can reduce voltage needed to start.

I have a Craftsman miniature file set that is good for cleaning contacts.

Save Old Iron

neutral safety switch purple and brown wires are connected together in the neutral position

JackC

You can also try swapping the relays to see if that makes any difference.

Also check fuses and their sockets for oxidation.

Pick up another inexpensive meter and print out the circuit diagram to follow.

stevebo

Thanks guys !

I cleaned the blades on the switches and the relays and tried to swap them too. I also checked the fuses but did not clean them yet. I will mess with it some more this weekend.

dbartlett1958

Steve,

I had a similar issue with my 416-H recently. Sometimes wiggling things would help sometimes it would not. My problem turned out to be a bad connection at the relay plug(Red wire). Since replacing the connector on the wire, it starts every time.