Sign in to follow this  
Electro12WH

Engine Turning

Electro12WH

I have begun making a new custom dash panel for my '68 Charger project. The first part of this thread covers how I made an aluminum panel with engine turning.

To begin I purchased a .025 aluminum sheet at my local home improvement store. The metal came with a brushed finish and had some scratches on it. Therefore, the metal must be polished. You can use an orbital sander, hand sand with Wet or Dry sand paper, or use a polishing pad in an air grinder. Whatever gives it a uniform matte finish.

Next, I made a temporary base with a fence to attach to the drill press table. This doesn't have to be fancy, a piece of plywood with a strip of wood attached and clamped to the table. I added markings to the base to guide the alignment of the work piece.

For this piece I decided to use a 1" tool. I used a wooden dowel the appropriate size. This wouldn't chuck in my drill, so I added a 1/2" dowel as a shank. Then using hot glue, I attached a piece of red Scotch Brite pad trimmed to size. Other sizes of dowel may be used. I have also done this with 1/2" dowel. Size the turnings according to the scale of your project. Chuck the dowel in your drill press and set the speed for slow(500-600rpm).

Place the work piece against the fence with the tool aligned with the edge farthest from the fence and starting at the left corner. Make a pencil mark on the plywood at the edge of the metal. Lower the tool into contact with the metal. It doesn't have to be with a lot of pressure and touch the metal for a second or two. Next, move the metal to the left 1/2 the diameter of the tool and repeat.

When you get to the end move back to the left end. You will now add a strip of wood between the fence and the work piece. The strip will be 1/2 the diameter of the tool in width. Starting directly above the first polished spot begin again. Continue this way until finished.

I did this on a drill press, but I see no reason this couldn't be done on a vertical mill. Also worth mentioning; I've heard of people using a wood dowel and lapping compound to do this. I tried it and found the results to be variable and messy. I don't recommend it.

• Like 1

SousaKerry

:text-worthless:

I have done this with a small right angle die grinder and scotch brite pad on a 2 inch sander disc

Electro12WH
th_EngineTurning1.jpg?t=1337000216th_102_1427.jpg?t=1337000970th_102_1423.jpg?t=1337001337th_EngineTurning4.jpg?t=1337001898th_102_1429.jpg?t=1337002083th_102_1430.jpg?t=1337002280th_102_1431.jpg?t=1337002566

AMC RULES

All of that accomplished without one single picture. :popcorn:

:wwp:

Electro12WH
th_EngineTurning1.jpg?t=1337000216th_102_1427.jpg?t=1337000970th_102_1423.jpg?t=1337001337th_EngineTurning4.jpg?t=1337001898th_102_1429.jpg?t=1337002083th_102_1430.jpg?t=1337002280th_102_1431.jpg?t=1337002566

AMC RULES

:ROTF:

:beer:

:text-coolphotos:

Electro12WH

There has to be a better way to post photos! Jeez!!!

AMC RULES

You did a great job turning the aluminum, the picts look real good too.

Will you be drilling for the choke and throttle now?

Electro12WH

I'll post somemore pics when I make the dash. I need to cut the outline, then cut slots for the throttle/choke and drill for the ignition. Then I will bend the angle. Last is the mounting holes.

AMC RULES

Any updates yet? :popcorn: