PADan

308-8 What would you pay?

PADan

Hi Folks,

Its so great to find a forum with such passionate Wheel Horse enthusiasts.

I'm starting here with zero knowledge of the brand but after a couple hours reading this forum last night, I'm excited about diving into my first project.

Yesterday a friend of mine was cleaning out his garage and asked if I would be interested in his 308-8. Neither one of us had any baseline for what this tractor is worth.

My question is, "what would you pay"? I want to give him a fair price.

This is what I know:

-- Has no battery

-- He is guessing it has not been started for 15 years

-- He said it ran fine when he put it in storage (I trust him)

-- This is the number on the tractor (All Greek to me at the moment) 85-36MR01-21553 --- 8136

I have no idea what year it was made and do not see an hour meter. (Did the 308-8 models have an hour meter?)

I want to do a full frame-off restoration. So over the next weeks I'm sure I'll be a sponge reading as much as I can from this forum.

Hopefully I'll be able to contribute something of value back to all of you in the future.

Thanks,

Dan

post-7309-0-19603400-1337011607_thumb.jp

post-7309-0-28160600-1337011612_thumb.jp

post-7309-0-79815600-1337011616_thumb.jp

post-7309-0-62165200-1337011626_thumb.jp

post-7309-0-81642100-1337011631_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Jim_M

I would give $250.00 for it. I like the 308-8's, great little tractors.

whfan74

I agree with Jim....you can't beat that little K-181 under the hood. They are a tough little machine that gets most of the chores done. $200-$250 would be a fair deal for both of you due to the fact that it has been sitting so long. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Oh by the way......Welcome to RedSquare!

truckin88

$150.00 tops. needs a battery thats $25.00-35.00, has not been run = may need lots of parts. 8HP will be hard to get your money back on. I'd try to snag it for $100.00, with a parts budget of $150.00

dcrage

PADan

I just looked on the "Wheelhorseallyears" spreadsheet that I have (and is probably located on this site someplace) -- Anyway your 308-8 was made in 1985-87 -- The tractor model # would be of the form 21-08k801 (made in 1985 and you won't see the '-' on your tag on the tractor) -- Or your last 3 digits will might be 802 (1985), 803 (1986), or 804 (1987) -- The # you have is for the 36" Rear Discharge mower deck that is on the tractor -- The 308-8 has mutiple decks that would fit it

• Like 1

IthacaJeff

I've got a 310-8 (10 hp) a few years newer than yours, and as much as I love this tractor,

I would not be inclined to go for an 8 hp. Your deck is small (is that 36" deck), and running

a 42" deck may max you out. You can run a snowplow, and pull some loads, but things like

tilling will be a struggle.

That being said, if the deck is a good enough size for your yard, and basic chores are what

you are looking at, you will get a long running tractor for a good price (I'd max out at $150 IF

if runs, but $100 is not being unfair for a tractor that is 25 years old). A 416-8 (16 hp, heavier

axles) is of the same vintage and condition could fetch $500, but it is a much more capable

tractor.

Jeff

Forest Road

$100 max. It hasn't run since ???? I've bought much better tractors for $100 - 300.

Wheelhorse84

I had a b-60 which is an older series than yours with a 7hp kohler. That thing push snow like nobodies business.

AMC RULES

$100 project, that your friend just wants out of the garage is more than fair. :twocents-twocents:

By the time you're through, you're gonna have a lot of time/money invested in that full resto idea of yours. :scratchead:

Pretty cool tractor though. :thumbs:

Really cool...if...you can get it on the cheap. :popcorn:

:WRS:

Jim_M

I have to ask you guys...If it was your tractor, would you sell it with a deck for $100 or 150?

• Like 1

Wheelhorse84

nope

marvairplanes

Go ahead and buy it...if you later decide you made a mistake, set it in my driveway and I'll hand you 4 hundred dollar bills.

• Like 1

KC9KAS

I find it hard to pay more that $100 for a non-running tractor, but that being said, the KOHLERS are very good engines and can be brought back to life easily, but again, money will be involved.

Personally, I agree with most of the comments here, and would think $100-$150 would buy this tractor.

AMC RULES

I have to ask you guys...If it was your tractor, would you sell it with a deck for $100 or 150?

Yep, I would...especially if other than pile more junk on it, if I hadn't touched the thing in fifteen years? :teasing-poke:

Similar situation allowed me to get my first :wh: ...a running '68 Commando from my buddy for $50. (in my gallery) because it was just collecting dust. He knew I had the :wh: bug and would treat it right.

That's how we define friendship...we do nice things like that for each other all the time. :dunno:

I'm a firm believer, pass on good fortune to the next guy, it comes back to you in spades. :thumbs: .

• Like 3

Ken B

He is a personal friend and you want to be fair which is the right thing to do. I don't think an offer of 250 is out of line, or too much. Big deal, it needs a battery, some new fuel lines and fluids changed. Any tractor out there of this age will need all of that anyway. I don't think you would come across too many of these for 100 bucks on Craigs List. Its not like you are going into this totally blind, he is a friend that you trust and he said it ran well when it was parked.

• Like 4

Jim_M

"He is a personal friend and you want to be fair which is the right thing to do. I don't think an offer of 250 is out of line, or too much. Big deal, it needs a battery, some new fuel lines and fluids changed. Any tractor out there of this age will need all of that anyway. I don't think you would come across too many of these for 100 bucks on Craigs List. Its not like you are going into this totally blind, he is a friend that you trust and he said it ran well when it was parked."

You took the words right out of my mouth.

• Like 2

CasualObserver

I'd have to agree with Jim and Ken. It's always hard to put a dollar amount on transactions with family and friends, but I think $250 is a pretty fair number for both buyer and seller on that 308.

• Like 1

tgranthamfd

The only way I can get a hundred dollar tractor around here is if it is a parts machine. Like said above I think $250 would be fair for the tractor you haven't heard run yet. I bought one like that, 80 model, had it running and drove it off the trailer.

• Like 1

WH520

It looks like it's in pretty good shape. I think you'd be getting a good deal for $200-$250. I'd offer him $200, if he says no tell him $250 is the highest you'll go. I bought my 518 off a friend. It sat outside under a lean to for 3 or 4 years with flat tires, the steering skipped, the body was in pretty rough shape and I never heard it run. I got it home and put a new solenoid on it and it fired right up. I paid $200 for it and felt like I got a great deal and it wasn't nearly in as good of shape as the 308 you're looking at.

Dockfishin

To a friend under these same circumstances absolutely. 99% of everyone here it wouldn't have been sitting for all these years parked and not running. My personal opinion is it's a $150 tractor and if it's a friend I was selling it to it would probably be a $100 tractor given what's known. If I wanted more for it I'd have to get it running first so all was known about it.

• Like 1

zieg72

I paid $100 for my 308-8 running perfect and needing only a $1.61 pulley keyway, no deck, no pto clutch

post-96-0-57308200-1337121840_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

PADan

Thanks everyone for such great feedback. I stopped at Tractor Supply today and got a battery. Filled it up with gas and to my surprise it was running after just a few tries. I let it run a few minutes then shut it off to change the oil. I told my friend that after all the feedback here on the forum, I was comfortable offering $250. He said that was more than fair enough for him. So, I am officially the proud owner of my first Wheel Horse. :)

I'm really looking forward to stripping this thing down and start sandblasting. Will be sure to post pics of my progress along the way. Thanks again to all of you.

• Like 5

Sparky

Congrats!! Might want to think about a full tune up including a new fuel filter, ait filter, sparkplug, change out the tranny fluid...etc...

Mike...............

PADan

PADan

I just looked on the "Wheelhorseallyears" spreadsheet that I have (and is probably located on this site someplace) -- Anyway your 308-8 was made in 1985-87 -- The tractor model # would be of the form 21-08k801 (made in 1985 and you won't see the '-' on your tag on the tractor) -- Or your last 3 digits will might be 802 (1985), 803 (1986), or 804 (1987) -- The # you have is for the 36" Rear Discharge mower deck that is on the tractor -- The 308-8 has mutiple decks that would fit it

Thanks for that info Dave. When I took a picture of the tag I noticed this was probably not the original area it was mounted, (under the seat). But I didn't realize it was for the mower deck.

bowtiebutler956

That's great new! :woohoo: It may be your first, but it won't be your last! :WRS: Make sure, and update us as you fix it up. :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas: