Sign in to follow this  
decksetter

POISON IVY... I think...

decksetter

I just hacked up some poison ivy (I think) with a chain saw. I don't know how long it had been there, but it was as big around as my arm. It was there when we bought the house last fall. Anybody ever seen poison ivy this thick?

2012-05-04_19-54-33_587.jpg

2012-05-04_19-54-17_666.jpg

4xfourfun

• I'm getting itchy just looking at it.......that is the grand dad of poison ivy.

DoctorHfuhruhurr

The urishol oils stays active for a long time so you may want to clean your saw with something that breaks down oils. I never was allergic until I got older and now I look at it and have to load up on Prednisone.

varosd

yes indeed that is the posion ivy, I am slowly winning the battle by cutting notches out and applying Poundup posion ivy to the cut section. and even spray a combo of different weed killers. the oil is active up to 1 yr so gloves, tools even boot laces are suspect. clean it all!

rmaynard

I have had Poison Ivy that size or bigger growing in my woods. I cut a notch in it about 1 foot off the ground and applied Roundup as well. It takes several application to completely kill it.

Jake Kuhn

Wow,that is the biggest I have ever seen it. Jake

AMC RULES

Cutting into it and applying gasoline works much faster. :chores-chopwood:

stevasaurus

That's the largest I have seen...nasty stuff. Be careful...or...

You're gonna need an ocean

da, da ,da da, da

of calamine lotion.

:banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance:

squonk

That's the largest I have seen...nasty stuff. Be careful...or...

You're gonna need an ocean

da, da ,da da, da

of calamine lotion.

:banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance:

Or you'll be scratchin like a Hound!! :angry-screaming::auto-ambulance::banana-dreads: :banana-guitar:
  • Like 1

Fun Engineer

One of the biggest I've seen. We have it all over in our park system where I work. Someone (staff) gets it every winter when they're out trimming and removing trees. As others said, watch out for it on your tools and clothing. Shoe laces are a favorite place for it to hide.

PS Wash your hands really well before doing your business.

Otherwise you'll be really, really sorry. :(

• Like 2

AMC RULES

PS Wash your hands really well before doing your business.

Otherwise you'll be really, really sorry. :(

...or anybody else's. :hide:

• Like 2

312Hydro

I had to take prescription steroids for at least a week after a friend took down 2 dead Elms on our property. My face looked like a Shar Pei DogimagesqtbnANd9GcTVGY_Ldqj8ds1mERXk3.jpg with all the wrinkles and my hands looked like they had been burnt 2nd degree. Might have been Poison Oak ? Nasty stuff!

decksetter

I cleaned the chain saw and myself off with paint thinner after I cut it out, and put my clothes straight in the washer and got right in the shower when I was done.

Found some more I need to cut up today but not as big. I got some poison ivy roundup, put rags over the cut ends and soaked them in it so hopefully it soaks it up into the vine and dies.

can whlvr

i saw a show where they stated a 1/4 of an ounce would be enuogh to infect every one in canada,my dad wasnt effected by it,but i was,went camping one time,set up at night,woke in the morning just a scratching,set up in a large patch :banghead:

bowtiebutler956

That's some serious poison ivy!! :scared-eek:

Matt :flags-texas:

CasualObserver

And by the way... even though it's woody... don't burn it. The oil will just vaporize and be carried on the smoke. You can get it anywhere and everywhere then... including inside your lungs! (and you think it's itchy on the outside!) Better to just bury it... and all the debris from your chainsaw. You don't want that sawdust anywhere near you.

Coadster32

There's an over the counter product called Tecnu. You rub this on your skin before the ivy battle, and it more or less cloggs your pours and keep out the ivy oil. Commercial tree cutting guys up this way use it. I had the steroid thing to heal me as well.

• Like 1

312Hydro

There's an over the counter product called Tecnu. You rub this on your skin before the ivy battle, and it more or less cloggs your pours and keep out the ivy oil. Commercial tree cutting guys up this way use it. I had the steroid thing to heal me as well.

That Tecnu is great stuff. We always keep a bottle in the medicine cabinet. Unfortunately for me it got on my gloves and then my face when I perspired. I really tried not to touch my face too.

Jim_M

And by the way... even though it's woody... don't burn it. The oil will just vaporize and be carried on the smoke. You can get it anywhere and everywhere then... including inside your lungs! (and you think it's itchy on the outside!) Better to just bury it... and all the debris from your chainsaw. You don't want that sawdust anywhere near you.

Jason is 100% correct. When I was a kid we bulldozed some fence rows on the farm then burned the piles. I had poison ivy on 100% of my body from breathing the smoke, even had it in my lungs. It caused pneumonia like symptoms. I was in pretty bad shape for about 2 weeks.

The only good thing about it is that now I'm immune to poison ivy, haven't had it in over 40 years. I can pull the stuff by hand and not be affected. I don't push my luck though, I still wash well after handling it and I NEVER burn it.

Sparky

I second the burning warning. My first time with poison ivy was as a Boy Scout. My patrtol burned some and my face got it bad!

Mike.......

Duff

Jason is 100% correct. When I was a kid we bulldozed some fence rows on the farm then burned the piles. I had poison ivy on 100% of my body from breathing the smoke, even had it in my lungs. It caused pneumonia like symptoms. I was in pretty bad shape for about 2 weeks.

The only good thing about it is that now I'm immune to poison ivy, haven't had it in over 40 years. I can pull the stuff by hand and not be affected. I don't push my luck though, I still wash well after handling it and I NEVER burn it.

Interesting, Jim. I got it really bad about 45 years ago when I was a teenager working for the state highway department mowing roadsides with a hand scythe (some younger guys may not even know what a scythe is!). Ended up with both legs and arms wrapped up in calamine and gauze for days. Sheer misery! Afterwards, I've never caught it again even though I've waded through it, mowed it and been sprayed by the juice while weed-whacking. Apparently some people do develop an immunity after really bad exposure, but I sure as heck wouldn't suggest wading through the stuff to test this theory!

Duff :thumbs:

perry

i never used to get it but now i do. our wooded property is full of posion ivory. i dont even attemp to kill it off, just too much of it. i never used to get it but now i do. in the 90's I hand cut my driveway and opening in the woods to build my house and never once got it. burned everything we cut. even worked at a tree service for years doing lot clearings with no problem. but within the last 7 years i now have been getting the ivory. i get it in on certain parts of my arms and chest. but it still does not bother me or seem to spead too bad. if it starts to get bad i rub bleach on it.