Wheel Crazy

Electric Fuel Pump?

Wheel Crazy

I was thinking about putting an electric fuel pump on my C-81 because it often loses prime. Have any of you ever put an electric fuel pump on a tractor? How many GPH does it have to be? How many psi? Thanks!

JamesBe1

There are several fuel pumps that you can put on your tractor. My D-180 has one. It is well worth the effort.

There was a thread not too long ago that mentioned a couple of different part numbers from NAPA or Advance Auto Parts. You want the 4PSI kind.

Here's another thread on the topic:

squonk

Funny this topic came up. I mowed some with my C-160 tonight. I stopped for about a half hour to clean the dog pies up in my back yard. I don't like a stinky tractor or garage especially when it gets warm out. I restarted it and it started running funny. I had to run the choke some and finally it just died. Of course it was at the farthest point of my yard to the shop. I sprayed some carb cleaner in the intake and it fired so I knew it was a fuel problem. Lucky for me I just bought a Husqvarna rider to flip so i towed the 160 to the shop and finished the yard with the Huskee. Quality of cut sucks compared to the 160. I verified fuel flow to the pump,it was good. Nothing coming out of the pump. I manually filled the float bowl and started it up and it ran fine. I let it run for like 10 min. then I drove it up and down the street. Runs fine again. I think I had a case of vapor lock and it lost it's prime. Brian miller suggests using an electric pump. Napa # is 6101051. I think It's going to be my next upgrade.

can whlvr

if you only loose prime after it sits for a while you can put a fuel shutoff right behind the pump,and shut it off when not in use

Coadster32

If you ended up getting vapor lock, perhaps the vent on the gas tank is clogged?? I do like the shutoff idea, as that's what I do. Keep it simple. :handgestures-thumbupright:

squonk

Tractor runs fine now. I would think a clogged vent would show up all the time. Mine was more of a heat-soak problem maybe caused by how close the Nelson OEM muffler is to the pump and carb. Plus I had a fuel prime issue when I first got the tractor and the pump would pump fuel like mad when I pushed the lever by hand but didn't want to work with the camshaft pushing it. I was thinking i had a bent lever or a worn cam. If this happens again, I"m trying the electric pump.

123GO
Hey guys'
I emailed Walbro for s#!^s & giggles and got their answer back very quickly so the old service still remains.  Maybe Sarge or someone else knows about reliability on the one here idk?   Happy New Year everyone...

Q: Hello Walbro'
Years ago Walbro made small engine inline fuel pumps to work with the Kohler K series in garden tractor engines found on Wheel Horse, Cubs, JD etc..but I don't see the pumps around anymore?
Pumps on the market today are very short lived compared to the old Walbro pumps of the day. 
Due to fuel Tank Location /HP/ Carb differences on each tractor It appears most electric fuel pumps used now for the old Kohlers widely ranges from 1.5 to 4 lbs pressure and they use regulators to smooth out the fuel flow. But please understand the spec ranges here are only from my own reading & not Kohlers recommendations but I'm sure they are very close anyway?
What does Walbro offer today one can use, can you folks please help us out?
Thank you

===== Answer - XXX = removed name privacy =========

A: Hello 123GO,
    Hmm Let me suggest looking at the FRD2-1. It is a 12v 2-3.5psi 10GPH fuel pump. 

Thank you XXXX

Sales Support ===========================http://www.WalbroFuelPumps.com

888-511-3039 / 321-725-3159 (Int'l) ============== 

Quickly googled found here fwiw:

http://www.goodboatgear.com/detail/pd/45809/Fra-Constant-Frequency-Reciprocating-Fuel-Pump,-2.5---4.5-Psi,-(16-Gph-Min.)?gclid=CMiA9urRodECFQOewAodEf8Kpg

• Like 1

953 nut

Thanks for the information, a bit rich for my budget! The $ 12 one from :techie-ebay: is doing fine.

• Like 1

Sarge

Genuine Walbro pumps aren't cheap and it's tough to figure out if any vendor is truly selling the genuine article - the knockoff copies are that good but the internal components are the problem . I guess the best way is to buy the rebuild kit first and take a new pump apart , comparing the internal parts both in size (micrometer) and materials used - Walbro never changes their kit contents . The last few I sold years ago were prior to the copies showing up and I had a direct access to a small stock order - I marketed them at $100 back then and the prices have risen quite a lot . There is almost no markup in that advertised price for the FRD2 model and none of the honest vendors make any real money selling them - hence not many vendors left . Let's face it - people don't want to spend the coin for real quality and real quality costs real money which is why the copies have saturated the markets to include many brands/models of carburetors . I'm pretty sick of getting tech calls about Weber issues only to find out via pictures they are using either a knockoff Chinese or Taiwan copy or a re-badged Solex since Weber bought them and some vendors think that substitution is just fine , which it is not in any way at all .

If you do want to run a Walbro , you must understand that using a constant cycle pump such as the FRA and FRC will not last as long since they are built for continuous duty demand unless you run a bypass setup . Low demand engines such as used in our tractors require models like the FRB and FRD which only run when pressure drops below the set point specified in the sub model ratings . Due to differences in our engine range , it would be best to use the better built pumps with an adjustable cutoff type regulator built inside - but they are about double the cost last time I looked . In fact , looking at their web site it appears those models are no longer made and from what I'm seeing almost if not all models are foreign production or at least with global parts suppliers - hence my lack of trust as with most parts available now .

If there is any chance of running a stock mechanical pump - I'd recommend sticking to that . Vacuum pumps are an issue since their reliability is so-so at best and they won't work correctly on a worn engine that has too much cylinder blow-by . In all honesty , I'd run a genuine USA made Facet and even keep a spare as they probably won't be available much longer but run $75-$100 in cost . I wrote a how-to in sorts in the Tractor section in a thread about an engine not starting - mainly about how to make a continuous run cycle pump work on our tractors by using a return line setup -

Part of the reason I got out of building Webers was the cost of parts and having to deal with knockoff parts/units saturating the market . Even sourcing stuff directly out of Europe (Italy, Spain) didn't work without a trusted source of which two dried up - shipping parts overseas only to find out it's not a genuine part will irritate a guy . Global marketing and production has created markets that can't be trusted since things move around too fast and getting an honest answer is nearly impossible now - so I've stayed out of it . The Facet is about the last thing available for now that can be trusted , at least for the short term . It may have changed already with some company acquisitions of recent months , who knows...?

Sarge

pacer

I'm like 953 and run the $12-15 ones off ebay. I have 4 of them on "D's"now, one of em has to be 6-8 years old and the others 1-3yrs old.

pfrederi

I have installed 3 Facet Posi-flo pumps, 1 on a 418 and 2 on C175s.  longest is 3 years now without incident.  they are larger and a bit more expensive +/$30 but they are engineered and made in the USA (or so it is stamped on the pump body)

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

I have a Facet posi-flow pump on my 416-8 . It has only been on the tractor for about 6 months but works great. :twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

Jerry77
1 hour ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Facet posi-flow pump

Facet makes quite a range of various psi ranges - stay below 3psi to save the seat in your carb...mine is 1.5 to 2.5 on an Onan 16hp - works great - not cheap...but is quality...whatever you get, fuse it and have an off switch for when you want to work on your tractor electrics without the pump running...:twocents-02cents:

info: this is where I bought my pump - 50 bucks https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=9811  

Edited by Jerry77
  • Like 1

JC 1965

:text-yeahthat:      :thumbs2:

clueless

:text-yeahthat: 

Walleye

I have a Facet 60304 pump I recently installed on my C-160, rated at 1-2 PSI. I noticed that the pump wants to flood the carb, and gas will drip out of the air cleaner if the key is left on, or even if the tractor does not start up right away. I think it could run better, and I expected it too based on other posts about the Facet pump.

Do you guys think it is a float problem or too high of pressure? I have not pulled the carb yet. Pressure regulators below 1-2 PSI are extremely hard to find, and I don't see anyone else mentioning a regulator. 

Sarge

Excellent link and thanks - I did a bit of research on their part numbers and they hold true with Facet's own catalog so they would be genuine units - rare these days to find and their prices are great . Bookmarked for future use...

Sarge

pacer
8 minutes ago, Walleye said:

Do you guys think it is a float problem or too high of pressure? I

I had this happen on a C - I wasnt too familiar with the tractor having just bought it so I went into the carb to do a cleaning, wasnt to bad and sure enough it didnt help. So I got a new needle/seat, stuck it in and problem solved

• Like 1

Walleye
34 minutes ago, pacer said:

I had this happen on a C - I wasnt too familiar with the tractor having just bought it so I went into the carb to do a cleaning, wasnt to bad and sure enough it didnt help. So I got a new needle/seat, stuck it in and problem solved

Thanks, I am going to order an overhaul kit. 

M i k e

The Facet Cube fuel pump to buy is model number 40177.  Its rated at 1.0 to 2.0 psi shutoff pressure so it won't overload the carb float on Kohler engines.  Works great on my K341S.  Used to start, run, idle rough no matter how I adjusted the carb especially in winter.  Once I replaced the new plastic kohler fuel pump with this baby, starts and runs smooth as glass all year round.  No more cranking the hell out of it on coldstarts.  Very happy, will convert all of my horses over to EFP.