Sign in to follow this  
wingrider

Problems witha K301

wingrider

The first of last week I heard of a guy north of me that was selling off his collection of Wheel Horse tractors, and went to check it out. After finding the place and talking to the guy about several tractors I finally bought a Raider 12 8 speed from him, it didn't have a deck or anything else that came with it.

After arriving at a price I bought the tractor and brought it home. The next day I was looking it over and looking at all the things it needed to get it

running and makeing a plan. Tonite while looking at it I unscrewed the dip stick to check the oil in it, when the plug came out there was no dipstick at all, so I took another one out of another motor and putting it in it wouldn't go in. I looked again and saw a gear just inside the hole

that was right under the hole so the dipstick would not go in. I turned the motor over by hand and noticed that part of the gear was missing,

so I put the dipstick in and screwed it in , then tried too turn motor by hand it moved some then hit something and stopped. I pulled the dipstick out and it was bent. I looked at 3 different motors and found no gear any where close to the dipstick in any of the other motors, so the question is where did the gear come from?

Here are the numbers from the motor K301 S E 0031659 & Spec No. 47371C Tractor Model 1 6251 Sn 663245

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks Wingrider

can whlvr

it sounds like you are seeing a balance gear,but maybe you have a different engine not from a wheelhorse,is the dipstick in the usual place,as you said you cant usually see any gears down the oil filler

tunahead72

Wingrider,

I can't help you much here, except to say that the engine spec. number you gave us was original equipment on the 1970 Raider 12 (model no. 1-6251).

Good luck!

wheeledhorseman

I'm no expert on K301s but I learnt a lot about variants when transfering a good one from a rotavator or something similar onto my C-120.

There's at least three places for a dipstick, external tube, the one above the balance gear you describe, and even a stumpy one at the front which goes pretty much directly into the oil pan.

BTW seeing a balance gear for the first time can be alarming in that it looks like it's a normal gear that's been trashed as it has a chunk cut away from it.

The engine you have sounds as though, like the one I put together, been made from more than one K301 and like mine, has the original tin with model and spec number even though it isn't. If you can see the balance gear down the dipstick hole then you can't fit the dipstick there. Normally it would be the external tube type but do look at the front - is there a hex plug over the oil pan. If so it may have a stumpy dipstick on it.

eng4.jpg

Andy

Anglo Traction

Yeah, Somethings not right about the Motor, the Tins may have been swapped over.

The serial nbr that starts with an 'E' says it was built by Kohler in 1969, so it follows that it (or the Tins) was/were bolted to a 1970 Tractor.

Your Engine Spec 47371 calls for a DipStick Tube 9 11/32" long and bolted to the rear side of the Crankcase(next to where there is normally a Starter Motor).

The Part number for the Tube should be 236964.

The Dipstick should be 14. 1/2" long, part nbr 237052.

If you don't have a place on the Crankcase to bolt one on where it should be, then you have a Crankcase derivative from an earlier different application.

It look's like Andy could be correct with the alternative positions for the Stick on that Crankcase.

Pics would help a lot