Sign in to follow this  
bean

308-8 100lbs lighter than a '73 8hp!

bean

I am looking at a 308-8 and wanted to compare it to my '73 8hp 4spd. the 308 is several inches longer,taller, and wider. and it is an eight speed. I was thinking it would be 100 lbs heavier. instead it is listed at 466lbs, while the 8hp is listed at 570lbs. what gives? thicker frame, sheet metal, etc on the 8hp? I'm guessing the specs probably weren't as accurate in 1973 as they were in 1986. ;)

SousaKerry

Well I can tell you the hoods weigh more but not that much, maybe in the sheet metal under the seat and in the dash tower but the frames should be the same. Other then that there should not be much difference in the engine as long as they are both Kohlers. Did they use an aluminum block briggs or tecky on the 308-8?

bean

the 308-8 has a kohler magnum cast iron engine, so that shouldn't be a considerable weight difference.

. I always thought the weight lister for the '73 8hp seemed a little high. it is a very small tractor.

I know why all of you have several tractors. I am looking for something to mow with and i could easily just put a deck on the '73, but I seem to be trying to talk myself into another tractor.(which will be the 4th) :D

can whlvr

i have an 308,and some older c,s,i dont think it would be 100 lbs lighter,maybe 30 at most

bean

i have an 308,

what is your impression of the 308-8, comparing it to the older 8hp 4spds?

I have a '73 8hp and it has performed very well in the garden, plowing,and grading. I have thought about getting a 36" deck for the '73, or just replacing it with a 308-8. I hate to let the '73 go, but i don't have a lot of room in the shop, so it would have to be one or the other.

can whlvr

well since you cant keep the 73 and get a newer one,keep the 73,i beleive it has the slightly heavy axles,1-1/8,compared to the 300 series that has the 1 inch axles,but the 308 is a great tractor and as capable as any in its hp range,i replaced the 8 hp long ago but it was very impressive till i blew it up,if i was going to replace an 8 hp tractor it would be for more hp,i like the bigger motore as they will handle all the chores a little easier,but the 73 8 hp is a fine machine and i would keep her,I would get another buts thats only my opinion

bean

yeah, it is a fine running tractor. i hate to let it go. I will probably look for a rd deck for it. here is a link to my youngest grandson taking it for a spin. runs like a sewing machine. and 40yrs old!

Clatra01

Keep the 73'... Better appearance!

can whlvr

any deck that will go on a 300-400 will fit your 73 so if you need a deck it should be easy to get one,depending on where you live

bean

any deck that will go on a 300-400 will fit your 73

I think a 36" would be best for the 8hp engine. 42" seems like a lot.

if I am mistaken, please let me know. there are several 42" decks around me, but no 36"decks.

can whlvr

i had a 42 on mine,thats why the engine blew,over the years it was too much when the grass got tall,and i have a few acres so she got worked,it will turn a 42 but a 36 would be better,a 37 would work but i think you would need the 6 inch rims on the front

bean

a 37 would work but i think you would need the 6 inch rims on the front

thanks, I didn't know there was a 37" deck. I will have to research :techie-eureka:

the 8" tires I have on it now are 14.5" tall. about the same as the 6" wheel/tire that was on it before.

Road-Track

The 200 series in the late 80's used a 37" deck. I have one on my 17 hp 257H. It uses 2 blades, but will not connect to an "attach-o-matic" tractor.

Model: 05-37SK01 Year: 1989