Sign in to follow this  
rydogg

Picked up a RJ35 550 and half of a RJ58

rydogg

I was at a local swap meet last weekend and picked up these 2 and a half wheel horses I had already had the RJ35 pre purchased before the swap meet but the 550 was one I just happened to come across as I was getting my RJ58 half tractor hauled out to my vehicle. The RJ35 has a clinton engine and is complete for the most part it won't take much to get it going, the 550 was a surprise to see that is was complete and original except it is missing the exhaust shield it still has the original lauson 5.5hp engine but it doesn't turn over so I think it will be getting pulled out and rebuilt most of these older nut roasters I have been getting are usually missing parts or in mid restoration when I get them so I was happy to get an unmolested one with the correct mowing deck and engine. You will notice from the pictures that the trailer is full of horses....3 wheel horse garden tractors and 2 troy bilt horse garden tillers. I also picked up some misc RJ parts, a bunch of kohler k90 and k91 engines, a k141 with tilly updraft carb, wheel horse tires/wheels, and much misc.

post-2337-0-72075700-1335842886_thumb.jp

post-2337-0-78178800-1335843632_thumb.jp

post-2337-0-35083300-1335845020_thumb.jp

• Like 5

neil

some people have all the luck ,

great find

i would love to own an RJ35

Anglo Traction

:text-yeahthat: What Neil said.......... Nice haul Rydogg. That load should keep you busy for a while.

Of course you could always keep one of them put aside for me for when I come over to the U.S. on a RJ shopping trip :hide: . I feel it may be later this year.

meadowfield

I think that could be the only way we could all afford it...

Half a dozen of us do a whistle stop tour of the US with an SUV, big trailer and pick up half a dozen or so RJ's / spares. And then crate them and split the shipping contrainer cost !

We could get a lot of stuff over for $5K, but then the outlay would be high, and theres about 30% to add to that on import tax and insurance...

I don't think we'd lose money, but then we wouldn't make either!!!!! :)

COMMANDO6

Wow. You weren't kidding about the half! Nice find.

AMC RULES

Congratulations, nice haul on that trailer. :thumbs:

Jake Kuhn

Nice haul :handgestures-thumbup: Jake

VinsRJ

Wow! That was a nice haul.... and thats a early 1955 RJ35!

CasualObserver

Nice purchases, and was good to see you Ryan! I'll have to get a few pictures of what I managed to find too. I was just glad the rain held off!

fireman

Second what Vin said. That is a very early 55. It has the tank stand and solid deck lift handle. Check to see if the steering wheel is aluminum or cast steel. If it's aluminum which I am betting on it should be one of the first 100 made (SO THE STORY GOES)!

speedyleedy

That's one great looking load of horse's ! :bow-blue:

Hammerhead

I agree, it's an early production 1955 with the solid lift lever, gas tank stand and cast iron steering wheel. Nice haul for sure! I'd keep the 550 in original condition, they are hard to find like that! Hammerhead

bowtiebutler956

Score!! Hey, save some :wh:'s for the rest of us! :ychain: That's a trailer load of treasure! :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

rydogg

The 550 will stay original I will be getting the motor rebuilt this winter when things slow down at the shop, what style of tank does this RJ have? Round kohler style or square clinton? Steering wheel is cast iron.

stevebo

The RJ35 should have the clinton gas tank that came mounted on the 1200 motors from clinton.

stevasaurus

Very nice find Ryan...sounds like Jason was there also. Was JoeBob a show there too? I would think if he knew about it he would make it. Looks like a great time. :) Hope to see some of this at the LaSueur show.

BPjunk

" the 550 was a surprise to see that is was complete and original except it is missing the exhaust shield it still has the original lauson 5.5hp engine but it doesn't turn over so I think it will be getting pulled out and rebuilt "

The muffler shields are easy to find ...... where you lucked out was the carburetor, shroud for the carburetor and complete air cleaner assembly ! Wow good find as those up draft carburetors are really hard to find comlete !

Wild Bill in Richmond VA.

55rj35jr

NICE FIND!! THE RJ35 IS FOR SURE A EARLY ONE CURIOUS DOES IT HAVE THE CABLE STEERING?

stevebo

now that would be a super duper find with cable steer....

Rooster

:drool:

weien's wheel horses

Can u post a pic of the k 141 with the up draft carb

rydogg

Here are a couple of my k141 engines with tilly updraft carburetors I have another that is in a 633 project tractor pictured below. The red engine is ready for a installation, the blue one has a gear reduction unit so I will be changing the crankshaft so it can be used in a wheel horse. If you need more specific pictures just let me know.

wheelhorse267.jpg

wheelhorse268.jpg

wheelhorse269.jpg

wheelhorse180.jpg

weien's wheel horses

I just picked up a k141 that has the up draft on it,for 6 dollars

rydogg

Wanna double your money :ychain:

I buy any and all k series kohlers that I can find for under $50 weather they run or not. I bring them home and fog the cylinder and they go on a shelf for future use.

weien's wheel horses

Im gonna put it on a lawn ranger