Sign in to follow this  
mattd860

48" Mulching Deck

mattd860

I just bought a 48" side discharge mulching deck model # 78365. I haven't picked it up yet and only seen it in pictures so can someone tell me if this deck can be converted to a normal SD deck? I.E. can the mulching insert be removed? I would like to use the deck with a vac-bagger and use the mulching insert during the Fall season if possible.

varosd

I thought you could remove or add the mulching insert like you thought. should be 1997 300 classic series vintage looks like, on the parts viewer, you remove the bolts that hold the 2 baffles and then it should be a SD

stevebo

Matt,

If you do remove the mulching insert I would be interested in it. I guess you are getting the one from gumshoes.... The deck looks very nice.

mattd860

Steve, come on man - you already have 10 of everything and you still want more? Save some for the rest of us lol.

I'm going to keep the insert and use it on occasion. But Steve, if I ever lose my job and need money, I'm just gonna load up all my stuff in my truck and drive it over to your house.

• Like 1

stevebo

lol

skrusins

I have a 78345 48 deck that I took recycle kit out. Very simple

mattd860

Can I use the mulching insert with a powerflow vac bagger? I'm picking up a vac bagger in the next few weeks and I'm thinking the mulching insert will chop up the grass into tiny bits before getting sucked into the bags. Will this work or will something with the mulching insert cause the vac bagger not to function properly?

mrc

hi matt, i have a 48inch sd deck with a mulching kit. the mulch kit blocks the side discharge port. therefore i do not see how the vac bagger would work. on another note, i'm familiar with the mulch kit for the 42 inch rear discharge deck. if memory serves me correctly its only 4 bolts and the mulch kit is removed from the 42 inch deck. its been a long time since i installed the mulch kit on my 48inch deck and i seem to recall its now a dedicated mulch deck. no easy swap back to side discharge. i'll look at it tomorrow. regards mike in mass.

Kelly

I just picked up a 48" deck that says recycler on it, it only has a couple bumps bolted in to it, is that all it is?? I have a 42" rd with the mulching insert and it is a big heavy piece that bolts in.

stevebo

see matt you need to take it off and well it to me... lol

mattd860

I'll take a picture of it sometime but the mulching (recycler) deck is similar to what Kelly is describing and it does NOT block the side discharge port. The bolt on insert just makes it a little more difficult for the crass clippings to travel from blade to blade therefore causing the lingering clippings to be chewed up a bit more before being spewed out of the side. But the clippings do end up out of the side of the deck so I have to imagine a vac bagger can be used.

My only concerns were that a lot of clippings will be lost out of the bottom of the deck before exiting out of the side into the vac bagger.

see matt you need to take it off and well it to me... lol

Don't you already have 10 of everything?

stevebo

nope...

mattd860

nope...

oh - must be 9 of everything then.

Kelly

I think I'm missing the shoot block off, that makes sence it would be blocked and keep the grass in till it was chopped up like the RD decks do. anyone have a pic of the block off plate??

mattd860

I think I'm missing the shoot block off, that makes sence it would be blocked and keep the grass in till it was chopped up like the RD decks do. anyone have a pic of the block off plate??

After looking at the diagrams, I too am missing the shoot block off (baffle). It is #3 in the picture below. I currently only have #8 in the below picture which theoretically will allow the grass to travel out the side of the deck but will significantly constrict the flow allowing the grass to be chopped up further before exiting. I'm still thinking the front main baffle (#8) when coupled with the vac bagger will be an interesting combination......

baffle.gif

JackC

I have a 42 inch rear discharge with the recycling unit.

I am not crazy about it because it is not good in wet or tall grass.

Sticks can get caught in it and jam it up.

I am not always able to mow to keep from occasionally dealing with tall grass, dry conditions or small limbs on the ground due to wind.

If you have dry conditions and cut before it gets tall you should be good with a recycler.

My standard 48 inch side discharge is my favorite for open lawn and will cut through anything.

I use the rear discharge around gardens, buildings, and vehicles.

I have multiple horses so I do not need to change attachments.

mrc

hi matt, i looked at my 48inch deck with the recycle kit today. i cannot see how mulched up clippings will ever exit the deck for the vac bagger to suck them up??? best regards. mike in mass.