Sign in to follow this  
microtcpip

Wheel Horse 310-8

microtcpip

Hello Everyone and thank you for reading my post!

I Wheel Horse 310-8 fell on my lap yesterday! I was instantly attracted to the machine for the heavy steady feeling to it, so my quest now is to get it to work. I looks like it has not worked in years. Mostly all belts are missing so I am having difficulty to imagine how the belts are set using those front pullings that looks like they are bent (I know they are like that by researching in the internet and see some pictures.

The motor turns, so solenoid and starter works, but stops after a few seconds probably from a clocked gas filter (which I have not found yet) I replaced the spark plug so far.

Would any one happens to have a pdf file on the manual of this machine? or detail pictures that could help me find things.....

Your help would be greatly appreciated,

Steven

B)

Dual Wheels

Do you know the year of your tractor?...310-8 was made from 1985 to 1993. B)

microtcpip

Thanks for your reply! Tractor came without any documents or papers. How can I find out the year. There is a tag under the sit with a series of numbers... Would any of them can help?

Many thanks,

Steven

Buzz

There is a tag under the sit with a series of numbers... Would any of them can help?

Many thanks,

Steven

That's probably what we're looking for B) . Post all of the numbers you can find. If they're not it we can try to identify it by the numbers off the engine.

kpinnc

Edit: Dang! Buzz beat me to it!

The tag under the seat is what you're looking for. My 310-8 is model number 21-10k804. Your model number should be similar.

That number will tell you the year, and you should be able to locate all the manuals for download. Not sure Toro.com has it for download (they didn't a while back), but maybe the Yahoo manuals group has it.

These guys are all great, and will be more than happy to square you away.

Get those numbers, and let us know!

Kevin

linen beige

Pssst! Where's y'all's manners? You both forgot to say, B)

Glad you found us Steven. Post away with any questions you can come up with. You have found the most 'Horse sense on the net.

Work your way through the site at Toro.com to the model searches and put in the model number from that tag. It should help possitively identify your tractor which will help you track down parts and manuals.

Oh!, and don't fool yourself into thinking this will be your only Wheel horse! I swore I had no need for any other than my dad's old 400. Guess I should have defined "need".

microtcpip

Thank you so much for all your responses! It makes me feel welcome.... Too bad it is past 12 night here in NY other wise I would run outside and grab those numbers.... Oh well, I will post them tomorrow.

Again thank you B)

Steven

T-Mo

Steven,

B) I'm sure we can help you out. Again, welcome to the site.

nylyon

Steven, welcome to RedSquare Where in NY you from, I'm down in the Southeast corner about 60 miles north of NYC.

The tag under the seat has the model number and serial number. Post both numbers here and we can help you identify this tractor. Without knowing too much information, it sounds like there is a clog somewhere along the fuel line or a weak pump.

Onto the belts. The tractor has 1 belt to drive the transaxle. The other belts run the implements or mower deck. I suspect you are talking about the mower deck belt(s) in which case we will also need the deck model number which can usually be found on a similar tag on the deck. If you can not find the model number, post a picture of the deck and we can help you with what it is.

Again B)

microtcpip

Hello Guys! Here are the numbers from bellow the sit:

ID# 2110k804 20051

Regarding belts: The motor is on its side, so there is a large pulley on the right with 3 channels and what seems to be an electric pad. The channel closest two the motor has a belt going all the way to the back, perhaps for traction, the other channels are empty. On the front, on the right hand side some what off the tractor (what appears to be at a 45 degrees angle down) with two separate but together pulleys, which I can assume one of them is from the motor pulley and the other one goes to the cutting deck eventhough the angle is so off I cannot see how it will reach from teh front pulley other way to the bottom of the tractor, unless off course I am wrong on how these belts are set to go.

Karl, I am about 15 miles away from you, I am in the Town of Poughkeepsie. I wish I know about the convention in PA to see all those neat tractors actually working B)

Well, hope this info helps!

Many thanks,

Steven

Rod(NASNUT)

microtcpip B) You will find out this is the place to find out all you will need to know about Wheel Horse a good bunch of guys here B) also :whistle:B) B)

combatmp29r

Steven,

Check out this thread here. It should help you to understand how the belts run from the motor to the deck. Oh and your 310-8 is a 1987 model.

kpinnc

ID# 2110k804 20051

Regarding belts: The motor is on its side, so there is a large pulley on the right with 3 channels and what seems to be an electric pad. The channel closest two the motor has a belt going all the way to the back, perhaps for traction, the other channels are empty. On the front, on the right hand side some what off the tractor (what appears to be at a 45 degrees angle down) with two separate but together pulleys, which I can assume one of them is from the motor pulley and the other one goes to the cutting deck eventhough the angle is so off I cannot see how it will reach from teh front pulley other way to the bottom of the tractor, unless off course I am wrong on how these belts are set to go.

Stephen, that's a 1987 model, just like mine. It's not the strongest WH tractor around, but I haven't been able to break mine yet! All joking aside, they are darn good tractors!

The inner most pulley on the engine the tranny drive belt. The outer two grooves are on the PTO, and are for powered implements or a mower deck. Your deck belt should be on the middle groove, and the "mule drive" on the front of the tractor is where both sides of that belt go before turning underneath the tractor to run the deck. Looks like this:

f9f42.jpg

We can get you some better pics I'm sure, so let us know if you need more.

Good luck!

Kevin

T-Mo

Here's a thread that shows the routing of the mower belt from the engine back to the mower deck:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...ic=3137&hl=belt

Under edit: Steven, Joel already posted the above link. Sorry nothing new here. B)

TT

Joel posted that link already.... . B)

Steven -- :whistle:

Kevin - mule drive, huh?

YAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !

T-Mo

Now I see it. B)

microtcpip

Alright! This is great! So now I know that my tractor is 1987 and at least have some idea about the belt going into the deck (I was totally wrong about that)

So now I am going to concentrate in getting the motor going! Could any one tell me where I can find the gas filter? Once I spray start fluid in the carburetor I can get the motor going for about 15 seconds then it stops, so I have the feeling that there is no gas going through the line. If the gas sat in the gas filter for 5 years it probably gunk out!

Kevin, thanks for the pic, your tractor looks like mine, but mine does not have the TORO logo on the tractor any where and does not have the "power steering" either. Also, your have this neat heat shield on the exhaust, Is that something you got separate? or perhaps mine was stripped of it.....

I will take some pictures and post them of course! Thank you so much for all your help:)

Enjoy your day outside!

Steven

Ps. How can I post pictures?

T-Mo

Steven,

Here's the picture posting FAQ: Picture Posting using Photobucket

Kevin's picture is not of his 310-8 but of a 520-H, but the belt routing is the same.

On my 314-8 the fuel filter is between the engine and the battery tray - I'm not sure though where your's would be. B)

dgjks6

I am not nearly as mechanically inclined as most of the guys here, but I have dealt several times this year with your situation. If you can start it with starter fluid and then dies it is always (well not always, but a lot of the time) a dirty carb. Take it off, take the bowl off, and clean it really good. I have a 312-8 with the walbro carb, and there are really not a lot of pieces inside to replace. I would also replace the fuel filter and lines.

Do you have a toro dealer near by? He is going to be your best friend - so you can get all of the gaskets the same day.

If you can't find a part number or need more specifics let me know. BTW, if you take off the carb take a lot of pictures so you know where all the lines go back on.

Greg

dgjks6

Oh, and for manuals, the most helpful I found is if you go to Kohler's website, then under engines, then classic engines, then choose magnum 10hp.

You can download the service PDF from there.

Greg

microtcpip

OK, I checked for a fuel filter by tracing the gas hose and there is NONE!!! Kind of weird is in it? Under the gas tank there is some kind of a nub which I would guess it is to drain the gas out of the tank. Replacing the gas line seems very simple but I would like to add a gas filter... Any comments against that idea? Other thoughts..... Is there a way to empty the muffler? Is it easy to do? I have the feeling something was living there B)

I would hope this will help me starting the engine.... since I am kind of allergic to carburetors B) but I guess it would make sense to replace and clean the gaskets on a carburetor that have not started in a few years B)

Also, I think I managed to load some pictures.... let me know what you guys think.

Well, I have to go to work :whistle:

HPIM3012.jpg

HPIM3014-1.jpg

HPIM3016.jpg

HPIM3013.jpg

HPIM3023.jpg

this last one is the valve under the gas tank

HPIM3015.jpg

Cheers and make sure you guys turn this PC's off for a while and enjoy this beutiful weather... perhaps riding your Wheel Horse tractors!!!

Steven

T-Mo

That's the shut off valve under the gas tank. Adding a fuel filter wouldn't be a bad idea. All in all, it looks pretty good. You need to be sure you pick up an air cleaner assembly if you don't have one already for it.

nylyon

Nice Horse, you're gonna need an air cleaner and a seat. It makes sense to replace all the fuel lines from the tank forward. Thar nub is the fuel shutoff valve. Cranked in clockwise is off, counter clockwise is on. Turn it off and try to run the machine out of gas in the carb before replacing the line.

You can and should add a filter where you think is the best place for it. Filters are inexpensive and will help keep junk out of the carb, which is next. At least (after running it out of gas) remove the bowl on the carb and clean it out good. Then spray some cleaner where you see any openings inside the carb.

Put it all back together, turn on the valve and hopefully you'll have a good running machine. Of course you are always welcome to donate to the "NyLyon Home for Orphaned Tractors".... or NY HOT

Oh, and the deck looks to be a 37", you will need a special belt for that. There's a whole thread on that deck somewhere around here.

kpinnc

Real nice looking 310 you got there Steven! B)

You'll have her running in no time!

Tmo was correct, the tractor in the pic wasn't mine. It was just the closest pic I could find showing the belt route.

Also, the heat shield on the muffler is available from Toro, but I don't see the mounting tabs on your muffler. You DON'T want to know how much a new one is...

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Kevin - mule drive, huh?

YAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !

Yeah TT! YAAAAAAAHHHHHH!

Kevin

TT

There is an in-tank strainer screen on top of the fuel valve, but an inline filter is good insurance against smaller particles of dirt entering the fuel pump and carburetor. The best and easiest place to install an inline filter would be in the section of gas line between the hoodstand (under the battery) and the rear of the engine.

If the fuel system wasn't propery drained before this tractor was parked, the fuel pump and/or the carburetor could be plugged up with the gooey residue left when gas partially evaporates and gets old. (affectionately know as "lacquer" in these parts)

Disconnecting the line from the supply (in) side of the fuel pump and blowing back through it with compressed air will ensure that the line is open. (make sure the shut-off valve is turned on B) ) Once the line is cleared and gas flow to the pump is achieved, reconnect the line to the pump and disconnect the line at the carburetor inlet. Hold the gas line in a jar or gasoline-proof cup and crank the engine over a little to see if the pump is working. I have been know to remove the gas cap and stick rag wrapped blow gun in the tank at this time. A few bursts of air into the tank will pressurize the system and reprime a dry pump. You can also do this with a vacuum pump attached to the end of the gas line where it was removed from the carburetor, but the air hose in the tank trick is easier and quicker.

Once you get back to working on the tractor again, let us know how you make out. :whistle: