Sign in to follow this  
Curmudgeon

Neighbors

Curmudgeon

Say you've been forced to move into an apartment.

Say you have neighbors who need to "feel" their music.

Say you've asked them to turn it down.

Say you've pounded on the wall.

Say the wall is still thumping.

Now what? Shoot them?

kj4kicks

You've done step 1, talking to them directly. B)

Step 2: Let the apartment manager know the situation.

Step 3: Call the police and file a report.

Step 4: :whistle:

Curmudgeon

The police? You mean the same people that ignore unmuffled motorcycles and car radios you can hear two blocks away through closed windows? B)

combatmp29r

yep thats them

DMESS

Dale, if you showed up at my door all angry looking and told me to hold the noise down, I would most CERTAINLY comply! B)

TT

Do you have the ability to make "music" louder than theirs, Dale? B)

What about the "6000 sound effects" CD from the clearance rack at the dollar store blaring out a couple of anti-aircraft cannon shots about 4AM? :whistle:

Jim_M

I have a new neighbor across the road and down a little, that isn't much into property maintenance.

He had a Mulberry tree that was grown so far into the narrow dead end road I live on that you had to drive off the road to miss it. The tree hung so low over the raod that I have to duck when I ride under it and I haven't been able to bring my camper home because there's no way it will fit under it.

I as well as another neighbor have asked him repeatedly to trim it or let us trim it. He said to leave it alone because the squirrels like that tree. :wtf:

The last straw was when the garbage truck stopped coming down the raod because of that tree.

After one last attempt at reasoning with him I called the county code enforcement office. The very next day showed up and told him exactly what and how much to cut off of it and told him that if he didn't want to do it, they would have it done for him at his expense.

Now it's the most nicely trimmed tree in the neighborhood!!

Curmudgeon

Well, when I knocked on the door, this big black guy opened it.......

rocking 416

i live in the ghetto also , what i do is invite my redneck friends over we drink an et louder . mow the lawn in my pj pants drinking a beer at 5:45 am . oh an some of my friend play cajan music an we sing live band . but when there bassing i start up about 9 lawn mowers an let them all run hehehe that drives them nuts . but in apartment complex . try super gluen army men to there cars . or cb radios with amplifiers interfere with there amplifers for there car steros in there cars hehehe B)

Curmudgeon

Do you have the ability to make "music" louder than theirs, Dale? B)

What about the "6000 sound effects" CD from the clearance rack at the dollar store blaring out a couple of anti-aircraft cannon shots about 4AM? B)

If I can't outdo him, I can sure are heck make enough noise to get in trouble. I thought about getting some longer speaker wire, placing the speakers RIGHT against the wall, and letting the two 15" and two 12" woofers, four mid range , and four tweeters loosen the plaster...... :whistle:

Teddy da Bear

If the neighbor is "right" next door.

This one is simple and will be fun too!

You wait until the music is blaring again.

You hook up a hose and nozzle to your sink or outside spigot.

Go ring their bell and when they open the door "let em' have it".

Douse the stereo while your at it as well!

Our township has past an ordinance against these morons with their "rumble" music. It costs them $250 everytime they get caught.

Curmudgeon

i live in the ghetto also , what i do is invite my redneck friends over we drink an et louder . mow the lawn in my pj pants drinking a beer at 5:45 am . oh an some of my friend play cajan music an we sing live band . but when there bassing i start up about 9 lawn mowers an let them all run hehehe that drives them nuts . but in apartment complex . try super gluen army men to there cars . or cb radios with amplifiers interfere with there amplifers for there car steros in there cars hehehe B)

I never see him leave. His blinds are always drawn tight, I swear the tires on his Blazer have sunk into the blacktop it's been so long since they've moved......

I wonder how long it would take him figure out his deadbolt might be full of superglue?

nylyon

Maybe a B) is in order

Curmudgeon

If the neighbor is "right" next door.

This one is simple and will be fun too!

You wait until the music is blaring again.

You hook up a hose and nozzle to your sink or outside spigot.

Go ring their bell and when they open the door "let em' have it".

Douse the stereo while your at it as well!

Our township has past an ordinance against these morons with their "rumble" music. It costs them $250 everytime they get caught.

There is an apartment rule about noise, but apparently he is just below it. I have little tolerance for nuisance noise.

The one time he opened the door, it was about a 2" crack, one white eye and a very black face against some sort of gray/blueish background. Really makes one wonder what he's hiding.

I don't know if it's related or not, but the other morning at 1AM someone was pounding on my window or something. Woke me up. Maybe he thinks I'm the problem for complaining. Maybe it was just kids and a coincidence. Maybe not.

Since that was only a half hour before I had to get up anyway, I just got up and went to work.......

DOC in Kentucky

Dale,

Tell you what we did 20 years ago when we lived in a duplex for a short while. We found a timer that could be set to go on for an hour and then off for an hour. Hooked it up to the stereo and turned the speakers facing at the wall between the living rooms. Set it to a symphony station. Turned the volume to about 6 on a scale of 10, not blaring but enough to annoy and left for the weekend. So the stereo would be on for an hour then go quiet for an hour.

Never had a problem again. I think the answer is to not try to out do them just annoy them longer.

What ya got to lose!!! B)

Curmudgeon

LOL, I love you guys ideas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

linen beige

Gotta put my 2 cents in guys. I'm retired from city policing. One of, if not THE most common problems in our town is noise, loud music in particular. We have an ordinance against it but the fine is so low and the courts so lax that only the worst offenders are ever fined. That is usually the large college parties and they take up fine payment collections ahead of time. What's a $50 dollar fine to 300-500 partiers? i'm not familiar with the laws in your city, or Michigan for that matter, but there is likely a noise disturbance rule of some sort. Call the police and document the response. If it is not satisfactory contact the media and make a huge deal of it. Let the police know that although they may think it's a game, you don't. I know of NO police department in the U.S. that likes negative media attention.

Going to management by yourself is not likely to do much good. But I would be willing to bet that if a group of tenants went, and you may be surprised to learn you're not the only one bothered by the noise, then management would be much more likely to do something. You say the apartment has rules about noise and he is just below it. That tells me he knows the rules and he will use them against you if you try to match noise for noise and turn it into a peeing match. In order to win at that you would have to employee some very sneaky tactics, such as continuous tones that he can just barely hear, offensive odors released just as you leave for work, pepper spray on his door knobs that will get on his hands and then in his eyes when he rubs them or other places when he wizzes, being able to hear you "waking up from dreams" about killing people, Just generally acting truly "dangerous crazy" when you think he may be watching, etc. Things that would be hard to trace to you or are not illegal actions on your part.

I sense a slight uneasiness about confronting this guy. That's nothing to be ashamed of by any means. Truth is I think that's extremely wise. The trick is to not convey that to the offender. This type of person uses intimidation to their advantage but they are seldom good at dealing with being intimidated. NEVER let 'em see you sweat! NEVER! He will probably go out of his way to avoid contact with law enforcement, especially narcotics enforcement.

linen beige

or cb radios with amplifiers interfere with there amplifers for there car steros in there cars hehehe B)

I had all but forgotten about that! A linier amplifier hooked up to an old C.B., especially a cheap one, will let you talk to him through HIS stereo speakers. It even works when his stereo is turned off! :whistle: And it just might go through his T.V. speakers as well. That means he could be listening to bluegrass whether he wants to or not. Could be that hearing the Deliverance theme "Dueling Banjos", followed by a spoken message from "God", (can you speak in a very deep voice?) just might change his attitude.

Teddy da Bear

And if things go on and are bad enough.....you might want to see if there is another vacant apartment in that complex.

Curmudgeon

Jim hit the nail on the head, I don't like confrontation. Lover not a fighter. Firmly believe in live and let live and don't intrude upon others "space" in any way, including noise.

That's called respect, which most people seem to have lost now.

Teddy da Bear

That is so true Dale....

I could tell you some stories about my neighbors as well. No respect for others.