Sign in to follow this  
supercharged65

RJ-58 production marking?

supercharged65

Noticed this marking on my (new to me) RJ-58 while cleaning. It appears to be a factory chalk or grease pen marking. It is written over the original paint on the inside of the hood, and appears to be original and non disturbed. It is very delicate, so i did not want to hose it down or clean it. Can someone tell me if this is a factory production marking or if this was done later by someone else.

Thanks

post-6890-0-82696600-1335211109_thumb.jp

VinsRJ

It could have been a factory marking but more likely added during the course of time. I do not know of any documented "RJ-58" markings made under the hood.

AMC RULES

Maybe a replacement hood then? :dunno:

Kelly

I've had a few RJ's with orig paint and never seen a mark like that, looks like a ID marking, used on a used hood to ID it, I know I've been marking most of my parts as I tear a tractor apart.

Hammerhead

I would think it is probably not from the factory, but it could be from a sale or auction that the machine went through at some point in its long life. Or like others have said it was a replacement hood, maybe a dealer marked it so they wouldn't forget what it was while it layed around on their parts shelf for 20 years. I would spray a little bit of clear varnish over top of it to preserve it just in case it is a factory marking of some sort. Good luck with the RJ58, they are a cool little tractor!

:popcorn: Hammerhead

MikesRJ

I would say it is a replacement hood and the dealer marked it for later ID, as was said.

grnlark

Regardless of it's origin, I think its pretty cool!

rmaynard

I've gotten parts from dismantlers on eBay that have been marked with a white marker. When auto dismantlers take cars apart they mark everything like that. My guess is that you have a replacement hood that was taken from another used RJ and marked for inventory purposes.