Sign in to follow this  
redmosquito1

Leveling a deck (Dumb Question)

redmosquito1

Ok, I did a bunch of work my tractor today, replaced the bent Tach-A-Matic operating bar with the wheel with one I got when I bought a plow and straightened the front Tach-A-Matic hitch bar that was bent when I bought the tractor. Now the mule drive goes on and off smooth and the release pin for the mid Tach-A-Matic doesn't stick. WooHoo

More importantly I straightened my spindle on the deck so now all 3 blades are close enough to make me happy, I needed a little persuasion with the hammer to get the deck back to where it was so the spindle was straight.

I also figured out why my lift bar wasn't going all the way down, the previous owner installed a bolt under the trunion that stopped it from going down. Now it is all good.

On to my question, mounted the deck up and am now trying to level the deck. Everything that I've read about leveling the deck is to measure the blades. But how the heck do you measure the blades? I can't figure out how to get my hands under there to measure it.

Thanks

Tom

can whlvr

is it a side or rear discharge,on the side i use a straight edge that i slide in from the opening to see if the blades are true to each other,sorry never checked a rear and sold them

redmosquito1

It's a RD. Thanks though

gwgdog66

I have older decks, and it works on the newer ones just as well.

I use a level on a flat spot on the top of the deck. Park it on a flat level floor, inflate the tires to proper level. Put the quadrant in the center hole. Lower the deck. Turn the trunnion nut Clockwise lowers the front counter clockwise raises it. Turn it until it is level and turn ((Clockwise) the nut one round past that to lower the front.

can whlvr

i think he wants to check the blades them selves,they do go off kilter sometimes,when the deck warps or bends

leeave96

It is difficult to measure the deck blade height, but they make for cheap a plastic measuring gauge. Here is a link to one on Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Stens-750-442-Leveling-AM130907-490-900-0041/dp/B001OK8OE4

Another way to do this is decide what height you want the blades to be and cut a small block of wood to that height - sort of like a baby's wooden toy block. My Dad uses this method when setting the height on his Simplicity where the deck height is set by adjusting a height screw (for lack of a better word). You have measure on a flat concrete type surface.

If your trying to check the blades individually - this will work too as far as getting you in the ball park.

Good luck,

Bill