Sign in to follow this  
fuzzy

which combination works best...plow, disc, cultivator, tiller?

fuzzy

Well, now that we have our tiller working I'm looking to purchase the next attachment. We had a farmer friend plow our garden for us this year and we found that the large clods were a bit troublesome when trying to use the tiller, but we got it done nevertheless. My question is, now that the ground has been broken should we be able to just use the tiller in the fall and spring or should I invest in a single bottom plow, disc, or cultivator? I was pretty set on getting a plow, but after this experience I was looking more at a cultivator. So I'd like to hear from some of you as to your preferred method for garden preparation? What kind of recommendations might you guys have for me? Thanks!

Hodge71

The thing you have to remember is that farm plows turn over a HUGE furrow. Garden tractor plows have furrows which are more manageable. I personally like the tiller. When we do the tilling of the garden for spring we have always put the alpaca poop, dried blood and other fetilizer down and just run the tiller down and incorporate it all into the soil. In the fall we dont do any tilling. After everything dies, we run the mower over it for the last cut of the year and then cover it in PELLETIZED lime and let it set all winter. Its worked for us for 30 years. I would say the other implements might be beneficial if you plan on having an acre or more as a garden. then it mioght be better to plow, disc, and cultivate. I still think turning the soil over in the spring no matter how you accomplish it is the right thing to do. I'm definitely not a fan of the Grain Drills and the new way farmers plant....Just an opinion.

6wheeler

You need ALL of them.... Just because they are cool. I plow, disc, and cultivate my gardens. I do not have a tiller anymore. I also put on horse and/or chicken manure and plow it in. I plow in the spring. In the fall I either mow the rubbish or like last fall, burned it off. (have a water source handy) Then I put barn lime on with my broadcast spreader and let it lay. I am thinking about getting a tandem disc like a king kutter that is used for atv's though, I think a tandem disc would work alot better than a single gang. :twocents-02cents:

Jim_M

I pull all my plants when the garden is done. Turning some types of plants under will give you better chances of spreading plant blight and diseases. I put down at least 2 inches of manure in the fall, more if I can get it. I let it lay for 2 or 3 weeks then I plow it under if it's dry enough, by spring the ground has pretty well leveled itself. In the spring I hit with the tiller once or twice and it's ready to go.

leeave96

You need ALL of them.... Just because they are cool. I plow, disc, and cultivate my gardens. I do not have a tiller anymore. I also put on horse and/or chicken manure and plow it in. I plow in the spring. In the fall I either mow the rubbish or like last fall, burned it off. (have a water source handy) Then I put barn lime on with my broadcast spreader and let it lay. I am thinking about getting a tandem disc like a king kutter that is used for atv's though, I think a tandem disc would work alot better than a single gang. :twocents-02cents:

+1

Get 'em all!!!!!

Having said that, I prefer for my own use to just use a tiller. In my case, I've got a very nice Troybilt Horse tiller and a smaller simplicity tiller.

But.... my garden spot ain't very level and it's hard to moldboard plow and turn the furrow up the hill.

IF my garden spot was level, I'd go with a moldboard plow, disc or tiller.

Good luck,

Bill

can whlvr

gotta agree with hodge,if you have a smaller garden all you need is a tiller,i have a brinly 10 inch mold board and a tiller,i never use the mold board as i dont have enough of a garden to use it,once the garden is broken a tiller will easily do it,i break ground with mine for work alot and a few passes it works great