Sign in to follow this  
Rollerman

Pond Project

Rollerman

Got both the Pond lever steers in my shop finally yesterday.

The one has useable back tires & the front tires stayed together well enough to roll in pretty easy.

The other one...the tires fell apart slidieng it of the trailer & I did not want to move the bare cast iron rims any further across the concrete. :D

A friend came over with his mini excavator & helped carry it in the garage for me!

Both tractors look very intact thankfully but the front spindles are froze & the axle pivot is froze too...."my 1st hurdle"

I've been applying heat & PB blaster so far to try & free.

I am hopeing the clutches will be okay with some cleaning.

Finding misc parts for the Brigg ZZ engines in going to be the tricky part, any one here on the group have a connection or see a complete shipable engine...let me know :P

Amazeingly Miller tire still has the correct rear tires for these (7.50X16 Goodyears} & pricey, but not sell the car expensive.

The fronts are 3.50X12 & are no longer available...I see Miller carries a 4X12 & that should work.

Thats my update...my son & I are really looking forward to driveing these!

I am already working on the wife to help me plan on a trip to the PA show.

That weekend is our 5 year anniversary so she has other ideas.... :(

Stephen in northern IN...Happy Thanksgiving to all today

perry

hey stephan. cant wait to see the progress on the ponds.

will any of these briggs parts i have listed work ?. they are from a old david bradley. i just tore into it 2 days ago. the engine has no compression.

see my listing:

http://stores.ebay.com/PERRYS-PARTS-STORE_...9QQftidZ2QQtZkm

david bradley tractor:

http://cgi.ebay.com/david-bradley-sears-2-...oQQcmdZViewItem

nylyon

Looking forward to the updates, and Happy Anniverasry!

edit: Must have turkey on the brain..... :D Well Happy Future Anniversary! Guess there's no way out of this one.... I'll just stop now...

Rollerman

Perry the B&S ZZ model predates anything on a David Bradley walker so I'm not sure if much will interchange?

The air filter assembly "I need 2" looks close & I will ask some experts.

Stephen in northern IN....a happy Thanksgiving to all today!

Rollerman

Looking forward to the updates, and Happy Anniverasry!

Karl thats not till next year, about same time as the PA show & depending on how much money I blow on parts & tractors this winter I may be possibly divorced by then :D

Nah Marlene is the best thing that ever happened to me!! :P

Stephen in northen IN.... a happy Thanksgiving to all today!

Sparky

Hey Stephen.....I'm in the same boat as you!!! My 16th anniversary is June 20th which I think is the show date. Last year my anniversary was during the week before the show and I was able to do something with my wife the weekend before but this year I fear the show and anniversary are gonna collide.

Mike......still tryin to work it out.....

nylyon

I just looked it up, the 5th and 16th anniversary is the Wheel Horse anniversary, so you're all set, all you need to buy her a Wheel Horse. One with a FEL would be nice too!

Rollerman

That FEL better have diamoinds on it....LOL

Stephen in northern IN...happy Thanksgiving to all today

kj4kicks

Hey Stephen, Can't wait to see the progress on these "oldies but goodies".

A picture is worth a thousand words!

Eldon.

a FEL with diamonds.... now THAT'S funny !!

refracman

Stephen, you lucky dog, nice find on them ponds. I think im goin to have to plan a trip out your way and check'em out.

If the misses wont let you go to the show im sure i can find some space on the trailer for one of them :D

Rollerman

Thanks Eldon & Steve.

I really hope to get them up & going & have them at the show in 08...but it's gonna be a tall order to do so.

Think Briggs ZZ parts :D gonna need air cleaner assemblies, 1 blower housing & maybe a carb for starters.

I figure I can get the tires in the spring at the Auburn IN winter show.

M.E. Miller allways sets up there....or maybe just run over there, he's in Wauseon, OH & thats on the way to Toledo right Steve?

Here's a link to M.E. Miller tire

http://www.millertire.com/

I'll post some more pics also...but wanted to keep a thread dial up friendly too.

Stephen in northern IN....happy Thanksgiving to all today

PS I can just picture Eldon out in the garage contiplating diamonds on his C520/FEL

kpinnc

That FEL better have diamoinds on it....LOL

That is perfect! Too funny! If Eldon finds a way to fill a FEL, I WANT A CUT! :D

Today is actually my anniversary- 4 years, 2 kids (+1 from my first marriage), and going strong! I joke about my wife giving me a hard time about Wheel Horses, but she isn't too bad at all. As long as I help keep the little monsters out of her hair when she is making dinner, etc, I'm in good shape. Now if I'm playing with tractors WHILE she's doing that- that would be another story... :P

She actually wants me to go to the show in June. She has wanted me to for a couple years now, mainly because I won't shut up about it! LOL :(

She said she'll go with me, if I put us up in a motel for the weekend. She ain't the "camping" kind... I can handle that!

Kevin

Rollerman

Kevin my wife isn't into ruffing it either.

When we went to Portland,IN for the Tri State show this year she came because we have friends down that way & she spend time with them.

At the hotel we got bumped into there nicest room because of a slip up the hotel made...now I'm kinda worried she will be expecting that all the time :D

A BIG CONGRATS on your anniversary too!!

Stephen in northern IN...happy Thanksgiving to all today

Rollerman

Update on the Ponds...the one I am currently tearing down has the black engie tin.

Well one of the rear wheels was free...to free....turns out the bull gear is gone :D

I was told that a compnay called "Motion Pro" can custom make gears & will check into them Monday.

Next idea would be to make my own out of 3/4 thick steel plate & a band saw?

They are about 12" in diameter 3/4 thick with 71 teeth.

That would take a long time, but I have my winters off :P

Stephen in northern IN

kpinnc

Stephen, I'd also look into some of the local machine shops. Ask about laser cuttting your parts. They can CAD control a laser cutter to make you a new gear in just minutes. Alot of fabricators make things like that for parts in dune buggies, etc..

I've seen it done with large sprockets, etc... Shouldn't be very different for a gear.

Kevin

Rollerman

Well it just so happens I used to work in a local machine shop....I just wasn't very good at it & that why I do asphalt paveing now :D

I'll make some phone calls tommorrow...see what I can find out.

Here are some more pics of the gear I need "it's of the left side"& the 2 in my shop.

Stephen in northern IN

1125071618b.jpg

1125071620.jpg

kpinnc

Same here! I used to love it!

But, I wasn't very good either :D Still- I wish I had at least a good lathe around!

That gear is HUGE! Hopefully, you can find someone willing to help you out!

Kevin

Rollerman

Pond update as of 12/13/07.

I dropped my one good gear off at Friskney Gear in Corunna,IN to have a new one made.

Can't wait to see the finished gear & have the rear axles back together where it will roll again.

I have started sanblasting the one & will start primeing it early next week I'm guessing.

I have removed the rest of the tires of the other one,drained all the fluids & started hitting all the bolts with PB blaster.

Offers are already comeing in, thats my own fault though for being know as a Horse trader :P ...but I do look forward to haveing one running hopefully soon. :D

1213071331.jpg

1213071331a.jpg

nylyon

It's great that you are fixing these up, and I am really looking forward to seeing the progress. I'll bet the offers really come in when they are completed!

T-Mo

I'm also looking forward to the progress and especially the finished product(s). And, even more, I would love to see them up close, in person, when they're finished.

Greg B.

Stephen,

The recovery of these Ponds is a true piece of American industrial archeology. Your conservation, preservation and restoration of them is to be applauded.

Like everyone else, here, I am anxious to see the finished machines.

Thank you, for your efforts,

Greg B.

Rollerman

Update on the Pond project!...Just got my phone call from the machine shop that is reproducing my missing bull gear.

It's done...... :D

Hopefully I can get it picked up soon & have the Lever Steer back on all 4's now that I can put the rear axle's back in.

nylyon

Very nice! Very nice indeed. What 'cha waiting for, git off this 'puter and gat a move on....

T-Mo

Great. Progress. :P Like Karl, said, get off the "confuser" and get-er-done. :D

Rollerman

Well I hope to get over to pick it up tommorrow or early next week.

Still talking with the wife about my allowance. :D

I'm looking forward to moveing on it though...been sidelined while I have been waiting on it.