Sign in to follow this  
truckin88

Would you buy a 6 year old truck?

Herbl

I would say the rebutation of the dealer goes a long way in you feeling secure in purchase. As far as the sparkplugs, yes in those years they had they freeze in the heads (Champion has one peice sparkplugs to cure that), I have a 2000 Ford and they had tendacies to plow the plugs out of them, Ford over compinsated and woundup with the other issue. If it's a good dealer and he will warranty it, go for it. I also live in the Hudson Valley, if you like I can certainly meet you and have another pair of eyes look over the truck.....

Herb L

IthacaJeff

I'm also in the market for a used truck after my '95 F150 rusted out so bad the chassis was crumbling. I'm also in

NY, so I think you need to check for rust with great care. I'd be sure to check the brake lines, spring and

coil mounts, bed mounts, and so forth. 44K is nuthin' but rust just keeps on keepin' on.

I'm actually looking for a 2005ish Ford Ranger. Price range is less than $7000. Looking cheap and gas

mileage, so 2WD, manual tranny, 4 cyl. Nissan Frontiers and Toyota Tacomas are about $2000 more,

and there are fewer available. Not to highjack this thread, but anyone want to chime in?

Jeff

DoctorHfuhruhurr

I'd run the ID through Carfax

I bought an 07 Shelby Mustang a few yrs ago with 4 ,000 miles on it right off a Ford dealers show room floor. The Shelby was a few yrs. old. It had a spotless Carfax the dealer bragged about. The car looked awesome and it was my weekend nice weather only car. However, one day about a yr. later I removed one of the rear tires and I noticed some very careful body work around the wheel well lip on one side of the car. Upon seeing that I REALLY went over the car and I found evidence that the entire side of the car was worked on. Still, straight as an arrow but all of the evidence was there that at one time there was some type of a collision on one side of this car. I was pretty depressed about this and I lost all interest in the car. It sat in my garage for about a yr. until I sold it. I bought the old lady a new 2012 Wrangler and I'm driving my 1988 4x4 Chevy step side everyday now.

That dealer must have either taken that car in on trade damaged or someone side swiped it on their lot and they snuck it into the body shop. Either way I have very little trust in a Carfax Don't buy anything from Scarsdale Ford in New York.

I wouldn't fault Carfax for unscrupulous people or the dealership hiding a private repair. Since Carfax is not a physical inspection it only checks what is reported. If you want a thorough inspection it's best to hire a 3rd party professional like aimmobileinspections.com but most people won't spend money on that.

can whlvr

the only thing about a truck like that is the fuel mileage,a 350 is gonna drink the fuel,but i drive alot so thays why i dont have a one ton,just a heavy half and i cant afford the fuel for it,150 to fill and i use that about in 3 days,it adds up

truckin88

Thanks guys, narrowed it down to a 2006, 2007, and 2009....entering negotiations

Ken B

I'd run the ID through Carfax

I bought an 07 Shelby Mustang a few yrs ago with 4 ,000 miles on it right off a Ford dealers show room floor. The Shelby was a few yrs. old. It had a spotless Carfax the dealer bragged about. The car looked awesome and it was my weekend nice weather only car. However, one day about a yr. later I removed one of the rear tires and I noticed some very careful body work around the wheel well lip on one side of the car. Upon seeing that I REALLY went over the car and I found evidence that the entire side of the car was worked on. Still, straight as an arrow but all of the evidence was there that at one time there was some type of a collision on one side of this car. I was pretty depressed about this and I lost all interest in the car. It sat in my garage for about a yr. until I sold it. I bought the old lady a new 2012 Wrangler and I'm driving my 1988 4x4 Chevy step side everyday now.

That dealer must have either taken that car in on trade damaged or someone side swiped it on their lot and they snuck it into the body shop. Either way I have very little trust in a Carfax Don't buy anything from Scarsdale Ford in New York.

I wouldn't fault Carfax for unscrupulous people or the dealership hiding a private repair. Since Carfax is not a physical inspection it only checks what is reported. If you want a thorough inspection it's best to hire a 3rd party professional like aimmobileinspections.com but most people won't spend money on that.

My point was don't put all of your faith into a Carfax. There is more than one crooked dealer out there. How many dealers out there will admit upfront that a car was side swiped on their lot? Probably not too many if they want to ever sell the car, especially a Shelby Mustang. I've worked for a few dealers in my day and although they were honest I'm not too sure they would tell someone if a car got damaged on their lot and was repaired on the down low. The repairs on my car were extremely well done, I'm no dummy when it comes to body work. I found the repairs strictly by accident.

decksetter

I don't know what those are going for in NY, but my friend just bought an 07 F350 Crew Cab long bed 4x4 King Ranch with the chrome package / 20s / rear bucket seats and a 6.0 Powerstroke for $22,900. They priced it at $24,900, he offered $22,900 and they didn't even negotiate, took his first offer. Beautiful truck, only option it's missing is a moon roof.

I don't know how much you plan on hauling but I'd be a little leery of a 5.4 in a truck that big. It's probably 8500+lbs empty.

Buckshot 1

Like decksetter stated I'd be leary to of the 5.4, thats only 330 C.i.'s in a one ton truck. If its set up for hauling, it must have one h--l of a gear ratio in the the rear end. think fuel mileage.

truckin88

Well trucks are selling the 06 sold before I got there, another 06 sold before I got to that dealer. I figured with gas and the economy, I wouldn't have to move to quick. I did find a nice diesel, but it is a 6.0, I have heard mixed reviews....thoughts on them?

Still dealing on 07 F250....no rush I want a good price.

stevebo

Will-

Why do you want that heavy duty of a truck? I used to drive a ford f150 fx4 4x4 and got a new one (through work) every 5 months. My first was a 2004 and had them til about 2007. They were a really nice riding truck and I am sure they will perform well for you.

truckin88

Steve, the main reason is to have a plow, also I will be towing some, and I'd rather have more truck thabn less. Also while I love 1/2 tons, the F-150 will be more $$ then a 250 same year mileage, at least around here. They must have built them with gold other something, they are a fortune.

My first choice is a Ford Super Duty, then Dodge and Chevy. I really just want something clean and low mileage.

6wheeler

I would really look at that truck. And probably bring it home. 44K , 06, clean, reasonable on price? Not a question. The 5.4 is a good engine (save for the plug issue) I'd say probably one of the best since the 390's were used. The front hubs (factory) simply suck. First purchase after I got it home would be a set of warns. My 94 F-250 HD with the 7.5L gets around 13 mpg loaded or empty, The same as my Dakota with a 318. But I wouldn't part with it.... A friend of mine has an 06 SD with 140000 mi. on it. It too has the 5.4L he gets around 16 mpg average. (he drives it everywhere). He puts that copper never seize on the plug threads and doesn't seem to have issues. Funny thing is, He says the harder he works it the better the mpg's. Just my :twocents-02cents: Good Luck Pat

truckin88

guys what about the 6.0? Any good?

Ken B

Most guys tend to stay away from the 6.0 Ford Diesal. You'll always get that one guy that swears by them though. My brother worked at Ford and he isn't a fan and none of the guys he worked with were either. For whatever reasons I don't remember. I used to do alot of Heavy snow pushing at the Danbury Mall with an 04 3500 Chevy dump truck with a 6.0 gas engine and an Allison transmission. That is a bullet proof setup right there with power too spare.

can whlvr

i owned a chev with the 6 gas and alli tranny,pull the tusks from an elephant and never passed a gas station for a spash either

Sparky

Theres gotta be a reason the Fords with the 6.0 diesel are selling cheap. Their reputation is terrible and Ford has moved on to another diesel version. On the gas motors, I test drove an F-250 crew with the 5.4 and it had no get-up-and-go at all. I cant imagine towing anything heavy with it. My 04 Dodge 2500 Crew with a 5.7 HEMI is a fantastic towing machine (although very thirsty).

Mike...........

decksetter

I have a good friend with 2 6.0 Fords and a 6.7 Cummins for his business, they tow with them a LOT and put around 50,000 miles a year on each truck. He did a lot of research on the 6.0's and this is what he found out:

The 05-07's are supposed to be a lot less prone to problems than the earlier ones. That said, he just plain can't keep a good set of injectors in the trucks, they've had the '05 F250 for 2 years and 100k+ miles and he's had to mess with injectors 3 or 4 times at least (although he never replaced the whole set at once). His '07 F350 he has only had for 2 months, but has already put injectors in it.

The Ford diesels use a high pressure oil pump to basically use the engine oil as hydraulic fluid to power the injection pump. Basically this means if you don't change your oil religiously it'll run like crap. Also they run like crap until they're warm, it's not uncommon for him to let his truck warm up 20 minutes in the winter. (My boss has an older 7.3 powerstroke and has the same issue, if he doesn't plug the block heater in he basically can't start the thing when it's below freezing out).

I think he also said EGR is problematic, he deleted the egr on the '05.

He says when they're running right they pull better than the 6.7 Cummins, but the Dodge still has the dpf and is a 6 speed. The Fords have more engine trouble than the Dodge (since he unplugged the Cummins egr to keep the turbo happy) but the dodge has more suspension issues. The Dodge turns a lot sharper even though it's a dually. I think mpg is around the same between the dodge and fords.

If you're a decent mechanic and don't have problems swapping injectors in a 6.0 you might really like it.

can whlvr

i would never never never buy a ford,ive been left on the side of the road too many times in a ford

Buckshot 1

From what I understand about the 6.0 Ford engine other than the injectors, they had alot of head problems. I also do not have a problem with the 5.4 gasser, just not in a 1 ton truck. Don B.

truckin88

thanks for all the info, my search will continue later this week as my work week has gotten nuts, and the JD needs to be finished. My wife wants me to consider 1/2 tons, but we will have to see. I really love super duty's just the look and stance, hopefully the one I go to see on Wed will be nice....I will keep you all posted.

nylyon

Talk to me about the 6.0 Diesel in my opinion it is NOT nearly as bad as it's made out to be and in fact can be a very good engine. You will hear a lot of bad about the 6.0, but if (IF) maintained properly they're a good reliable engine.

stevebo

Based on Will's past track record he will flip it before anything goes wrong with it :ychain: I like the first one better than the 2nd. Good luck with either tho-

Operator

Ford also has Oasis, ask the dealer for the Oasis report that will show all dealer work performed on the truck.

Interesting arl never heard of that one.

Stay away from the 6.0 Diesels BIG trouble. great trucks, I myself won't get rid of my 7.3

smoreau

I know a few guys that use the super duty's to deliver travel trailers to there new dealers lot. He has 1 with a 7.3 and a 6.0. The 7.3 has over 700,000 miles on it and has had 2 turbos replaced and changes his oil with Rotella every 10,000 miles. The 6.0 has over 500,000 miles on it and has had the injectors replaced twice. first with re mans at 125,000 and again at 150,000 miles with new ones. He also had the Huey pump replace at that time. He know changes his fuel filter, air filter, and oil changes at 10,000 miles. fuel filters on diesels are KEY! Change them as often as you can! Diesel fuel is a VERY dirty fuel and can plug a filter quick! He has found that K&N filters are not worth the $. Witch I told him when he got them for his trucks. Yes they are cleanable. and they do flow better. But you need to clean them all the time! They use oil as part of there filtration, and it gets dirty fast. Some guys don't put the oil on them for this reason, and there know not filtering the air properly. It also needs to dry after cleaning and you should NOT use compressed air to do this. Just let them dry. that takes time that he does not have. Know he just installs new paper filters at oil change time. After he replaced his injectors and pump on the 6.0, he has put on 350,000 miles on it with out any issues.