Sign in to follow this  
truckin88

Would you buy a 6 year old truck?

Operator

Scott , He must be one of the few lucky ones . One buddy of mine had an 06 with the 6.0 first set of heads went at 60 tho. then two more sets on the third set the dealer pulled the motor and shaved the block! this was by 90 tho. at this point the dealer told him to dump it, he did for a dodge. My son has an 06 with the 6.0 got it last summer, $300.00 of misc. under hood stuff by Thanksgiving, now three weeks ago he had to have it towed to the dealer for the oil cooler and ignition mod. $4200.00 and he is getting nervous, threatened to trade it off for a dodge!

smoreau

I like the Dodge Cummings!! That is the ONLY true big truck engine in a 3/4-1 ton truck available. If you look around you can find kits to put the Cummings in a Ford or Chevy. You see mor Chevy and Fords in my shop for repairs the Dodge. I have only worked on 2. A starter and a injection pump due to a bad lift pump. In my book, the Cummings is the best quality and longevity Diesel available for a light truck.

mowerman1193

Last time I used the carfax data, somewhere in the small print it mentions that not ALL minor accidents are reported only major accidents...depending on the severity of the accident..I too bought a van that showed nothing but I could see where work had been done..I would still use a carfax if I was out buying something but I also would use my eyes and look things over very well too..

The 6.0 motors have head problems due to ( my understanding ) letting them idle..most diesels like to idle but not the 6.0 as it makes it run hot..Also the injectors ( I heard ) go bad because of the filters..Ford designed and patented a special filter with some sort of valve in it..I understand they do not have this issue if you use the actual filter from the dealer..

I hear this from a good friend who is a diesel mechanic..How true it actually is? Not sure but that is what he tells allot of his customers..

Kev

I like the Dodge Cummings!! That is the ONLY true big truck engine in a 3/4-1 ton truck available. If you look around you can find kits to put the Cummings in a Ford or Chevy. You see mor Chevy and Fords in my shop for repairs the Dodge. I have only worked on 2. A starter and a injection pump due to a bad lift pump. In my book, the Cummings is the best quality and longevity Diesel available for a light truck.

I agree..those cummings are tough motors..

Kev

jdog_kustoms

Cummins is the best diesel and I'm not a dodge man at all but I have a 01 ran with cummins that's I love huals and pulls trailers great

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

nylyon

If you go with the 6.0 Diesel get the facts on the engine and make the decision for yourself. There are some weak points, but there's more fear and misunderstanding about the engine. Yes it is dependent on regular oil changes and the proper filters, but so should everything be. I am a root cause kind of guy, and with most of the problems with the truck, one thing just keeps popping back as the issue and that is the coolant which can be linked to many of the engines failures. If the engine's oil cooler hasn't been irreparably plugged with debris, flushing the coolant, replacing with a quality ELC and adding a bypass filter will help prevent *most* of the issues that the engine is famous for. Depending on the year, there are a couple other weak items which can be replaced which will *fix* some of the big problems.

It isn't difficult, doesn't take mega bucks and you can have a great truck that pulls strong, with a fantastic trans! I wrote a paper on the 6.0 cooling system, how to properly flush it. The big problem is the oil cooler getting plugged which causes 2 problems.

1. Overheated oil which can cause other components (turbo's etc) to fail, or get cooked including electrical components which are mounted on the valve covers.

2. When plugged, the oil cooler restricts coolant to the EGR cooler, which in turn can overheat, rupture, dump coolant into the engine which can lift the heads.

Stop the oil cooler from getting plugged and the major issues can be prevented, that is the fact.

What ever you do, if you're interested in a 6.0, get the facts on the engine, not the hype (either way) and make the call yourself.

AMC RULES

...I have a 01 ran with cummins that's I love huals and pulls trailers great

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

:scratchead: Is Lars riding with you Jordon? :popcorn:

Operator

Karl that sounds interesting, I'm going to tell my son about that.. Now that he has a new cooler maybe the head situation [maybe] won't pop up, the electronic module goes out because of low battery voltage, so the truck needs good batteries too.

nylyon

Randy, definitely get the document to him. With almost 100% certainty I can tell you that the dealer who did the work did not properly flush the cooling system and the likelihood of a repeat failure is medium to high. My replaced oil cooler plugged within 100 miles of being replaced due to following the Ford procedure! It would be of GREAT benefit to him to follow the document, and re-flush the cooling system and get rid of that Ford coolant. Yes, low voltage can cause the FICM to fail, but the FICM is mounted to the valve cover (drivers side) and if the oil cooler was plugged, it's likely that his oil temperatures contributed to the failure as well. Have him purchase some gauges to monitor the oil and coolant temperatures, it will really help prevent major issues down the road.

AMC RULES

FORD might could benefit from getting a copy of "the document" too. :scratchead:

Operator

Thanks again Karl, I forwared both of the posts. The dealer, Hastings Ford did flush the system with Simple Green. And then the wife and I took "Yeller" [it's the Amarillo Edition] for a 200 mile trip to get the smell out. It's on my Face Book page.