Sign in to follow this  
Joshua Hunt

Help...Electrical Issue?

Joshua Hunt

I have a 1975 c-100. In the past I have always had to keep the battery on a trickle charger to fire it up. I decided to get a new battery (first one was on it when i got it). I bought a Huskee 420cca from TSC. After putting it in and a handful of unsuccessful start attempts (turns over and starts but slowly dies out) it won't even "CLICK" when i turn the key. If i put it back on the charger until it is at least 80% it will turn over and start but if ultimately unsuccessful at keeping it running, it again will not even click when I turn the key. One of my knowledgeable friends will be coming over this week to help but I wondered what you smart people think. I am of course a mechanical idiot. Any input would be appreciated.

Update...I got it running tonight, mowed half the lawn, and without any weird noises or warnings it shut down like it was out of fuel. I tried to turn the key and nothing happens.

Save Old Iron

Charge up the battery overnight.

Remove the charger.

Attach a voltmeter across the battery terminals - what is the voltage? Hopefully above 12.6 volts.

Crank the engine over for one or two seconds only (this removes "surface charge" which gives a false sense of security the battery is properly charged).

Measure the battery voltage again. What is it? Above 12.5 - you can proceed with the next step. If the battery takes a nose dive much below 12.5 volts, the battery has very little capacity (even though new).

If the battery measures above 12.5 volts, continiue to monitor the voltage while you crank the engine to get it started.

Does the voltage ever drop down below 9 volts while cranking?

If the voltage drops below 9 volts and the cranking slows - the battery is not providing enough energy (even though it is new). One option is to take the battery to a car parts store and have them "load test" it. This will tell you if the battery is defective. Don't discount the fact your charger may be at fault too.

Once we check out the battery capacity, then we start troubleshooting the charging system on the tractor. Have you inspected the connections to the back of the ignition switch yet ?