Sign in to follow this  
WH252-H

1988, 42" side discharge, spindle pulley removal, HELP!

WH252-H

The deck model is 05-42SK01

I want to take the pullies off the spindle shaft so I can get to the bearings. Someone explain the correct procedure, PLEASE!

I have heated, Liquid Wrenched, PB'ed, pryed, beat (delicately) on them and tried a puller. I also held the pulley with a rubber gripper and tried an impact on the shaft. So far I have accomplished Zilch!

I see no set screws. I looked at the parts diagram and it doesn't look like they screw on. How do they attach? Is there a key way or are the threaded on there or pressed? Most important, HOW DO THEY COME OFF?

Thanks

Luckily I cut my hair short enough, I can't get a grip on it!

gwest_ca

If the pulley had a standard nut and lock washer holding it on the pulley should spin on the shaft and come off.

Older spindles that used a Woodruff key and locknut could be changed to your style by leaving the key out and making sure the pulley would spin freely on the shaft. This allows the direction of rotation to keep the standard nut and lock washer on. Never seize between the pulley and shaft should make it easier next time.

Can you still operate the deck with the nuts loose? That may break them free.

Garry

WH252-H

yes there is a nut and lock washer that holds the pulley on.

Are you saying that the pulley has threads in it and it's suppose to unscrew from the shaft?

can whlvr

no the pulley isnt threaded,ive use a solid block of hardwood on the top where the grease fitting goes(take it out and thread a small bolt in to preserve the threads)and hit the shaft with a good hit with the wooden block in the middle so as to not destroy the top of the shaft,this usually works with a small bit of heat,dont get it too hot as there is bearings not far,try it without heat first

WH252-H

Finaly!

These pullies were welded on! Welded with 24 years of rust and corrosion!

My issue with the deck is: The deck is in good condition around the spindle area and the spindle housings appeared to be in great condition on the inside. The outside, not so much! They're all still firmly attached but corrosion has done its job on two of the three. One has about half the cast eaten away around two of the bolts, at least they're on opposite sides. Keeping this in mind I wanted to remove the shaft and bearings without damaging the housings. All the housings I've found are about $40 each. I couldn't just go pounding on it with a hammer.

I was trying to be gentle. I didn't want to destroy the pullies ($30 each) and if I couldn't get the pullies off I didn't want to burn the seal out of the bearings with to much heat.

I decided to quit screwin around and get those shafts out no matter what.

What worked: I have a good propane torch and I used it! I would get each pulley VERY hot then quickly wrap an old v-belt around the pully and clamp it tight with visegrips. I'd then wrap the other end around something on the deck and use the impact wrench on the bottom of the shaft. The first two worked beautifully. The third, not so much! This method din't work on the third. It broke the belt so I pulled out a chain style pipe wrench. Heated this pully so long that the brazing melted and the pulley came off the hub. then I pulled out the 16" pipe wrench, firmly set it on the hub of the pulley and impacted away. It finally broke loose!

NOW the feel good moment! I was able to weld the pulley back together. The housings are not dammaged. The shafts are not damaged and I discovered I already had the replacement bearings.

Thanks for the help!

WH252-H

I'm a bit long winded this morning!

I completed removing everything from the deck and it's ready for blasting!