Sign in to follow this  
bo dawg

36" deck scraped

bo dawg

I have this 36" deck that came with the SK486 tractor I bought last week. The shell is shot, plus somebody tryed to make a side discharge out of it...WOW! So I figured I would strip it and salvage as much off of it as possible. The spindle housings and pulleys seem to be good, but bearings is wasted on one of them.

The bad thing is I can't get the pulleys off to really check them out, so soaked them with some PB blaster and try again tomorrow. Most of everything else is in reasonable shape. I don't have any 36" decks so I don't need to keep it. But would like to get the pulleys off successfully to offer to someone else.

DSC04944.jpg

DSC04937.jpg

DSC04938.jpg

DSC04939.jpg

DSC04940.jpg

DSC04941.jpg

DSC04942.jpg

tgranthamfd

A previous owner had cut the side off of a deck that came with one of mine, but they had welded a frame around the hole, I bent some metal around the frame and welded it up, and it cuts real nice. I was amazed. The deck shell, bearings, and spindles were all in good shape, though. Doesn't help you much with how to get them pullies off, does it?

• Like 1

gwgdog66

I've used a hammer and a 3/4 inch brass punch on the shaft from the top side to get them off.

smoreau

I got a 36" side discharge deck form Kelly last year for my dads c81 and I have to say that it has the best cut of all the decks I own. Its noisy and needs the bearings replaced, but I have been greasing them every other mow and its been working GREAT! I had to cut the long side discharge shoot down so it was even with the tractor as it hit everything in the wooded yard.

bowtiebutler956

That looks identical to my deck. The outer pulleys have a groove on top, so you can use a power steering pulley puller on them. The center one has 2 threaded holes, so you can use either a steering wheel, or a harmonic balancer puller on it. Most of your larger auto parts will rent these to you for free, just a deposit you get back upon return. :twocents-02cents:

Matt :flags-texas:

Hodge71

Thats the same setup on my Dads 42 inch deck on his 73 12 auto.Soak them with penetrating oil and once they sit for a day or so a slide hammer will take them right off...

Don1977

Those old pressed steel pulleys are most likely worn out anyway so if you destroy them there isn't much gone. Mine got so bad that they slipped the belt in heavy grass. my deck was an old Double D deck that I up graded the spindles several times. It now has the metric spindles. I took my old cast iron Double D spindles and remachined them by boring them out and sleeve them down to 5/8" and faced off some of the thickness to make them work. I don't remember how much we faced off the thickness. I now have metric spindles with the cast iron pulley that came on my deck originally and don't have the belt slipping on the pulleys.

bo dawg

Thats the same setup on my Dads 42 inch deck on his 73 12 auto.Soak them with penetrating oil and once they sit for a day or so a slide hammer will take them right off...

Sorry, but whats a slide hammer? and how would you use it? :confusion-scratchheadblue:

KyBlue

My Slide hammer Set ... CJ93B.jpg

bowtiebutler956

Say Bo Dawg, have you ever seen a dent puller? Its a rod with a large sliding steel handle on it. They work ok, but I still prefer a puller myself. :twocents-02cents:

Matt :flags-texas:

can whlvr

a slide hammer is a tool used for pulling things with the force of a hammer,it has a shaft that can be attached to different things,its threaded and up the shaft is an outer part that slides up and down,you attach the main body to what you are pullling (great for valve guides)and slide the hammer part uo till it hits the stop,or down i think can be done,it transfers the force of a hammer blow to the part but doesnt usually wreck anything,iv had a couple of pulleys i had to cut off,nothing worked but an angle grinder

bo dawg

My Slide hammer Set ... CJ93B.jpg

a slide hammer is a tool used for pulling things with the force of a hammer,it has a shaft that can be attached to different things,its threaded and up the shaft is an outer part that slides up and down,you attach the main body to what you are pullling (great for valve guides)and slide the hammer part uo till it hits the stop,or down i think can be done,it transfers the force of a hammer blow to the part but doesnt usually wreck anything,iv had a couple of pulleys i had to cut off,nothing worked but an angle grinder

Now that I understand, I have to see pictures as I read text to put it all together sometimes on somethings. LOL!

Thanks guy's!

I haven't done anything with them yet. I keep squirting some blaster on them and leaving it sit.