Sign in to follow this  
skrusins

Mower deck clean out?

skrusins

Has anyone tried or using a hose connecter on the top mowing deck?

I was looking at new tractors and they have a quick connect hose adapter

on the top of deck. From what I was told all you do is attach a hose turn

it on and engage the PTO. It looks like a simple fix, but does it work?

I know I would like some feed back and some of would like to also.

Thanks

Raider10

Have seen loads of newer mowers fitted with hose connectors but never seen what happens. I assume the water gets blasted round by the blades and hopefully blasts all the grass etc off. seems like a good idea to me.

Ian.

refracman

I have it on my deck, it does seem to work, and your right Ian, about how it works.

The spindles are aluminum and if not kept clean the acid from the grass will eat them, so ya its a good idea, mine still look like new after 9 yrs of service.

bowtiebutler956

Sounds like a good idea, but I have a hard time believing that just running water with the blades engaged would really be enough to get all the grass out from under the deck. I pressure wash mine, and I really have to work to get all that grass unstuck. :twocents-02cents:

Matt :flags-texas:

skrusins

refracman, may I ask where you got the adapters and was it had to install?

can whlvr

ive seen it at tsc stores,i bet i works better on a one blade mower,im trying the duff treatment this year,used motor oil

Jim_M

The xi series decks have the fitting installed from the factory. It works well, it basically pressure washes the underside of the deck without having to remove the deck.

PPGman

My Dad actually has a newer Cub with this system on the mower. I have tried it a few times and was pretty depressed with the results. It does however do a nice job of covering both you and the tractor with water. :)

Terry M

I have tried the hose connection on a 1999 toro/wheelhorse after doing my yard. it removed alot of grass and left alot of soaking wet grass stuck under the Deck . Overall I think the set-up was too messy and didn't work well for me. Good Idea though.

skrusins

Thanks Terry and PPGman, that's the answer I was looking for.

Jim_M

The thing I found that works the best is to drop the deck all the way down (set the height adjustment lever to it's lowest cutting position) on the concrete, connect

the hose, kick the deck on, set the throttle wide open, turn the water on full blast and give it about 2 or 3 minutes.

It does a pretty good job of cleaning and confines the mess to a small area, you scoop it up and put it on the compost pile.

Hydro

I have seen that attachment on 42" decks and wondered how well it would work? Has any body seen it on larger decks like a 48"?

kpinnc

The key is to use it after EACH mowing, not after the grass is dried on for months. When used that way, it works well.

• Like 1

WH252-H

I've used Rustoleum Coal Tar Epoxy on 2 decks now. It's similar to truck bed liner. It has a very high abrasion resistance & guarenteed for 10 yrs in salt water situations. You never know when you might take the tractor marlin fishing! The first tractor was sold, so no idea how thats working out. My personal tractor is doing great! I had the deck sand blasted made some repairs then applied 3 coats of the epoxy. I reinstalled all the hardware with stanless bolts and used it for 3/4 of last season. Last year it stayed clean as a whistle (assuming you keep your whistle clean). This spring I mowed damp tall grass 2 times and mowed over all the clumps until it was grass powder. A week later I checked the deck and it was plugged. I think if I had that water fitting and had used it after mowing most of that grass puree would have come out! I might try it. I plan on removing the deck around June for an inspection and I'll report the results.

• Like 1

Jim_M

I have seen that attachment on 42" decks and wondered how well it would work? Has any body seen it on larger decks like a 48"?

Mine is a 52" deck on a 520xi.

The key is to use it after EACH mowing, not after the grass is dried on for months. When used that way, it works well.

Kevin is absolutely correct. You have to start out with a clean deck and then keep it clean with the water fitting. It's not meant to loosen old hard, packed grass.

dsholler

Does it mow better when clean? Or does it corrode less? I assume in theory it should corrode less if you keep it spotless, but if you take the deck off a couple of times a summer to sharpen the blades, and you clean it up then and do the used motor oil trick (or some similar coating) , is that enough? Are you that much better off using the water blaster each time?

Jim_M

Does it mow better when clean? Or does it corrode less? I assume in theory it should corrode less if you keep it spotless, but if you take the deck off a couple of times a summer to sharpen the blades, and you clean it up then and do the used motor oil trick (or some similar coating) , is that enough? Are you that much better off using the water blaster each time?

It's a little of both. You'll create better vacuum to stand the grass up with a clean deck. The main reason though is to make the deck last.

kpinnc

To add to what Jim said- wet grass is extremely corrosive, due to chemical makeup and because it holds moisture. Keeping the deck cleaned off will prevent this, and greatly improve the deck's function. Water on bare metal will dry in just a few minutes, but not on one coated with grass clippings. Simply put, it's the FAR lesser of two evils.

• Like 1

dsholler

To add to what Jim said- wet grass is extremely corrosive, due to chemical makeup and because it holds moisture. Keeping the deck cleaned off will prevent this, and greatly improve the deck's function. Water on bare metal will dry in just a few minutes, but not on one coated with grass clippings. Simply put, it's the FAR lesser of two evils.

I am sure that is true.. the question is relative. It seems like a lot of trouble to retrofit this onto a mower deck.. so the question is if you are a conscientious person and you sharpen your blades 2-3 times a summer and clean off the deck and coat it with an oil each time.. how much better off are you with the washer mechanism? (If were to make the deck last 100 years instead of 99.. it is probably not worth it.. if it was 100 years instead of 5, then I would do it tomorrow... )

skrusins

Does anyone have a listing of the parts you would need to make the conversion?

Or some part nos.

Jim_M

I am sure that is true.. the question is relative. It seems like a lot of trouble to retrofit this onto a mower deck.. so the question is if you are a conscientious person and you sharpen your blades 2-3 times a summer and clean off the deck and coat it with an oil each time.. how much better off are you with the washer mechanism? (If were to make the deck last 100 years instead of 99.. it is probably not worth it.. if it was 100 years instead of 5, then I would do it tomorrow... )

I think your deck would last a good long time if you clean it 2 or 3 times a year and oil the bottom. A lot of decks have never been cleaned and they're still hanging around after all these years.

• Like 1

kpinnc

I think your deck would last a good long time if you clean it 2 or 3 times a year and oil the bottom. A lot of decks have never been cleaned and they're still hanging around after all these years.

What he said.

can whlvr

i bet if a guy was to put 2 hose connectors it would work even better,you would just need to fab a small hose splitter to hook up 2 hoses

RJR49

I coated my 42" deck with West Systems epoxy 3 seasons ago. The deck stays clean , almost no build up at the end of the season.

can whlvr

i used an epoxy called system three,its like west,it only lasted i season and then it was peeling and failing :banghead: ,i guess it depends on your lawn conditions alot,mine is alot of dirt slash sand in the later summer,when its dry and it blasts the crap out of the bottom of my decks,when epoxy doesnt last dont know what to do other than oil