Sign in to follow this  
truckin88

New to me JD 425

truckin88

I got offered a deal to good to pass by a family member on this 2001 Deere 425. I am doing a full going through, that is why it is in pieces, plus the PO did some spray bombing that needs to be fixed. In the end, the rear fender will be stripped and painted, the wheels & hubs repainted. A New main front seal, oil diptick seal, water pump and gaskets, coolant, oil, fuel filter, tranny filter and tranny oil, and reseal the rear cover of the tranny. Plus a bunch of odds and ends that have been ordered and are on there way. It came with a 4 way 54" plow and a 54" mowing deck, weights and chains. I will most likely be selling it, as I bought it as a project to keep me out of trouble. These liquid cooled Kawi's sure are quiet.

SAM_3350.jpg

SAM_3349.jpg

SAM_3351.jpg

Don't pay mind to the brush, was just seeing how wrong the PO's color choice was, as I am using Rustoleum's OEM Matched Farm Equipment paint.

SAM_3346.jpg

SAM_3348.jpg

can whlvr

looks like a good project

rexman72

thats a very powerful machine you have there

bowtiebutler956

Looks like a fun project. :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

Hydro

That 400 series is a very serious tractor! Kawasaki makes an awesome engine too. That looks like great project.

hm12460

Pretty good and popular tractor. You'll sell it pretty easy.

AMC RULES

You won't have it long...if you do decide to sell it. :popcorn:

Wheel-N-It

I had a JD 400 back in the late 90's. It had a front end loader and backhoe attachment on it. Great tractor but too small for what I needed at the time. I'd sure like to have one again with a 60inch mower on it this time.

truckin88

Thanks guys, she is a good runner, a lot more complicated than a WH to work on, but pretty heavy duty. I have to say I do prefer my WH's. Hopefully this will be back together sometime this week.

Thanks!

truckin88

while this tractor is heavy duty, I now understand everyones warning about JD's, it takes 5x's longer to work on than a WH. what a pain, after this is gone, I am getting 1 nice WH. I am done trying other brands.

• Like 1

stevebo

:happy-partydance:

1maidenfan

:text-yeahthat: :text-bravo:

AMC RULES

...after this is gone, I am getting 1 nice WH. I am done trying other brands.

:woohoo::text-datsphatyo::thumbs: :thumbs:

Ken B

while this tractor is heavy duty, I now understand everyones warning about JD's, it takes 5x's longer to work on than a WH. what a pain, after this is gone, I am getting 1 nice WH. I am done trying other brands.

While I haven't played with any of the different brands newer versions I have played quite a bit with their older ones. I have finally come to the same conclusion as you Will. It is much easier to work on the Horse's and much easier to collect one brand. Here is something that is MOST important to me, the fellowship just isn't their with any of the other brands like it is here with the Wheel Horse's. This is bar none the best forum and the best group of guys.

• Like 4

truckin88

While I haven't played with any of the different brands newer versions I have played quite a bit with their older ones. I have finally come to the same conclusion as you Will. It is much easier to work on the Horse's and much easier to collect one brand. Here is something that is MOST important to me, the fellowship just isn't their with any of the other brands like it is here with the Wheel Horse's. This is bar none the best forum and the best group of guys.

Ken, over on a JD forum, it took me 8 posts before someone responded how to fix something on the trans. Everyone just says "look at the service manual" which I did first, but the manual skips steps, very annoying.....RedSquare is the best hands down. If I sell this, there is a 520-H or a 315 calling my name locally.

hm12460

FWIW, my vote is for the 315!

Wheel-N-It

:romance-grouphug: Ditto here guys. This is a good place to be :)

truckin88

Well I may have to keep her, she is insanely complicated, but man, what a hell of a mower. Just did the first mow, now that she is back together. It runs like a ......

Lots of work on this one, all new plastic trim, rear fender painted, new water pump, coolant, all filters, oil, tranny oil, crank shaft seal, various o rings, and tranny seal. Just have to sort the tail light wiring. New blades and bearings. Real PITA to work on, but awesome to drive. If I keep it, I would paint side screens and deck.

SAM_3358.jpg

SAM_3359.jpg

SAM_3360.jpg

T-Mo

I have a 445 and you're right, they're an awesome mower. I have a 60 inch deck on mine and that deck is heavy. I also have a 54 inch, 4 way front blade and it's real easy to install and remove with the front quick attach design. But they are complicated, especially with the liquid cooling and the hydraulics, and it uses a lot of electronics. My 445 even has fuel injection.

wh500special

These are awesome tractors. Nice job putting it back together!

If you were closer to St. Louis, I'd be trying trying to talk you into a horse trade :)

Steve

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

Nice job on your JD! :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

Jake Kuhn

Nice job you did putting it back together and it looks like a really nice tractor! :handgestures-thumbup: Jake