Sign in to follow this  
Kelly

ID a Clinton

Kelly

I picked up a little Clinton today, I think it's the newer version of the one used on the RJs but not sure, this one had elect. start and looks to have a charging stator on it, the starter is gone and they took it off with out caring about anything, messed up the blower housing, the model no's are 498 5301 281 I havn't messed with it yet wife says it's supper time, I'll see if I can get it started later.

post-85-0-35719800-1334179770_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-10987800-1334179837_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-31625800-1334179890_thumb.jpg

buckrancher

it's a model 498 a newer version of the B1290 that came on RJ's

Kelly

Well after changing the broken plug, topping the oil off, it sat upside down, removed the blower housing, wrapped a rope around the drive for the recoil, and giving it a pull, it had spark, so I shot a bit of brake clean in it and it fired up, then I hooked up my starter gas tank I use to run engines, and it runs pretty darn good no smoke even the carb works nice, idles very good throttles up nice, I need to pull the mount and pulley off it from the tiller it was on, to see what size crank it has, it will make someone a good RJ engine, you could if you get a starter have elect. start with a charging system.

Look for it soon in the classifieds.

buckrancher

crankshaft should be 3/4"

clintonnut

Nice find! I have one just like it off a troy built missing the starter and I have another on my 550 complete with the starter