Sign in to follow this  
Steve B.

What model might this be?

Steve B.

Seller indicates it is a 1960. Doesn't seem to look like any from that era in the gallery. Anyone?

post-4894-0-78650000-1334116175_thumb.jp

I'm hoping the boss will let me pick it up. I'd love to add another horse to my stable.

kpinnc

Lots of different parts there, but definitely not a 1960.

1966 and up, with a 68+ rear fender.

AMC RULES

:dunno: Looks like a neat little project though. :popcorn:

Kelly

Lift handle is homemade, decals are 70-72, it's a short frame tractor, 1965-69 but I say it has the early narrow fenders pre 68, (Sorry Kevin) if the front tires are orig. it was Kohler powered, they didn't put those on the Tecumseh powered tractors, the ID tag will be right below the dash in front of the shifter, I see other WH parts around in the picture also.

Steve B.

That's great guys. Oh, and good eye Kelly... I noticed the other hood later myself. Seller says he has two parts engine, the sleeve hitch and hydro work. He's asking $250... that seems like much from some of the scoops other members have gotten. These :wh: 's seem fairly rare in these parts. I figure on a road trip Saturday.... hmmm... wonder if that'll fit in the back of the Highlander?

speedyleedy

I'am thinking 855 or 856 maybe ! :confusion-confused:

kpinnc

1965-69 but I say it has the early narrow fenders pre 68, (Sorry Kevin) if the front tires are orig.

No need to be Kelly. I think you are right.

Kelly

Ok you say hydro, now I see the top of the hydro lever, that would make it a 1075, 875, 876, or 877 those are the only short frame hydros.

Steve B.

Coolio. So the next question is... if it's a 1075 or 8XX that would make it a 10 or 8 hp, correct? Might this be a good candidate for a small FEL? I have a known to be good 12hp and a 10hp that needs a carb. I found this link:

http://motomow.forumotion.com/t498-last-saturday-i-went-for-a-little-drive

It shows a 1257 with a dandy little FEL. Just about all I need. I'm thinking gas powered wheelbarrow.

Kelly

to fit a 10 or larger in it, it will have to be the right style small base block and then you will need the correct oil pan they used (fit it under the hood) for the 1075, 1055, and 1045 and other parts that where special to those tractors, a bunch of parts only used on those tractors, a gear drive starter will fit but you will need to find a new home for the batt. as the starter will be in the way, a 8hp will be much easier to fit in there and parts easier to find

wh1257

looks like my commando 7

littleredrider

Looks like a mid 60s short frame but with a newer hood.

Also that tractor with the FEL is an 855, pretty cool...

CasualObserver

if the front tires are orig. it was Kohler powered, they didn't put those on the Tecumseh powered tractors,

Kelly, I have to ask.... what are you talking about? :scratchead: What are you saying is different? I've seen lots of Tecumseh powered tractors with those front tires.

TT

The standard tires for the Tecumseh-powered tractors (of that vintage) were 6-12 rears and the narrower (4.80 X 8) fronts.

The Kohler-powered models came standard with 23 X 8.50-12 rears and the 16 X 5.50 - 8 fronts.

CasualObserver

You know, in all these years, I never noticed that detail about the front tires. I knew the rears were 8.50s instead of 6x12 but never looked at the difference on the front! Thanks Terry :thumbs:

Kelly

I guess Terry answered your question on the tires, but it's only a clue, tires can be swapped over the years, but every clue you know about helps figure out what a machine is.

SAM58

The hood decals look to be from the early 70's probally not original.