Sign in to follow this  
RJR49

C160 PTO

RJR49

I just bought a C160 that ineeds a few adjustments. The bail on the PTO isn't centered. I think it's because the motor has an oversize oil pan so the crank shaft it sits high and hits the PTO clutch when you try to engage it. Before I start hacking it up I thought I would ask if anyone else has seen this problem.

I think the oil pan is the problem because it's about an inch taller than the one on my C120. Could be that a 16 has a bigger pan. I just do not know.

I put a .050 spacer under the cotter pin to raise it up but that's all I could do because of the clip holding the clutch. I took some pictures. I will see if I can upload them tomorrow

Kelly

Pics will help, but the 10, 12, 14 and 16hp Kohlers that bolt to the frame like the C-120 all use the same oil pan, if the pan is taller it will cause issues not only with the PTO but also the drive belt, and the belt guard fitting right.

gwgdog66

What Kelly said. Here is a picture of my 75 C-160. The front bolt that holds the top of the "Hoop" has a spacer that lets it pivot some to line everything up.

DSC00018.jpg

Don1977

What Kelly said. Here is a picture of my 75 C-160. The front bolt that holds the top of the "Hoop" has a spacer that lets it pivot some to line everything up.

DSC00018.jpg

That the first time I have ever seen the PTO rod attached upside down.

WH854

I just bought a C160 that ineeds a few adjustments. The bail on the PTO isn't centered. I think it's because the motor has an oversize oil pan so the crank shaft it sits high and hits the PTO clutch when you try to engage it. Before I start hacking it up I thought I would ask if anyone else has seen this problem.

I think the oil pan is the problem because it's about an inch taller than the one on my C120. Could be that a 16 has a bigger pan. I just do not know.

I put a .050 spacer under the cotter pin to raise it up but that's all I could do because of the clip holding the clutch. I took some pictures. I will see if I can upload them tomorrow

There are different length bails also 2 I know of :thumbs::WRS:

Chas

can whlvr

thats how my rod is too,upside down

• Like 1

gwgdog66

DSC00018.jpg

That the first time I have ever seen the PTO rod attached upside down.

It is how it fits. Been like that ever since I can remember. I tried to go from the top side and it bound up.

Hydro

The PTO rod as shown in the photos is the correct way to install it. I have checked the assembly drawings for my two tractors and gwgdog 66 is exactly the same. The trunnion comes up from underneath, goes through the plate and is connected with the pin.

rmaynard

The PTO rod as shown in the photos is the correct way to install it. I have checked the assembly drawings for my two tractors and gwgdog 66 is exactly the same. The trunnion comes up from underneath, goes through the plate and is connected with the pin.

I don't mean to hijack this thread and get into an argument, but It is curious that you say that. When I go to Toro Master Parts Viewer, the assembly drawing shows just the opposite, with the trunnion going in from the top. My original parts manual, as well as the owners manual shows the same thing. However, if your PTO works better with the trunnion going the opposite way, then that is okay with me. :)

rmaynard

Edit: This is an edit/deletion of a double post. MOD's can delete this post if desired.

Hydro

Thanks Bob, no issue at all. I looked at my two tractor assembly drawings and it shows the same as ....gwgdog 66 and mine are 9 years apart. My models are 31-16K804 and 73403. Should have worded my post differently. :eusa-think:

rmaynard

Yup, there is a difference between the C-Series and your 1988 416. I guess one day a Wheel Horse engineer had the bright idea to flip the trunnion up-side-down and found that it actually worked better. :)

rmaynard

If you have the correct oil pan, the measurement from the frame (or bottom of the pan) to the center of your crankshaft should be approximately 6-1/8".

post-2221-0-89207000-1334236096_thumb.jp

Don1977

There was a thread a while back where someone had the wrong clutch loop rod. There are a few different ones.

The standard Kohler base is 2 7/16" tall.

ericj

the tractors with a horizontal muffler generally have the trunnion upside down for clearance purpose. tractors like the 520,416, and the 314,312 kohler magnums

eric

Hydro

I think that explains it.

gwgdog66

There was a thread a while back where someone had the wrong clutch loop rod. There are a few different ones.

The standard Kohler base is 2 7/16" tall.

RJR49, I think Don is onto something. I had to look high and low for the taller loop for my 75 C-100.

RJR49

post-5686-0-32370600-1334354175_thumb.jppost-5686-0-28597500-1334354190_thumb.jp

Sorry this took so long. The head on picture shows the oil pan. It's still red. The previous owner said the motor is a fairly recent short block which is why the block is gray. The red part looks bigger than any Kohler I have ever seen. Less clear is the side view, but it's fairly apparent that the bail is not centered on the clutch. Fortunately I have the means to move the bail if you guys think that will solve the problem.

Same tractor different problem. I ran it out of gas the other day. Shortly there after it would not start. Good spark, and fuel is coming from the pump. In the past this has been a carb problem so I rebuilt the carb. Unfortunately, the local Kohler dealer steered me wrong on the carb kit P/N and it came with the wrong needle. I reused the old one and am not anticipating a problem but I am wondering if the carb from a K301 will work? I would guess that the jets are smaller producing less power but my grass is going to need mowing soon so I may have to try it. I am going to post this as a separate topic but while I am here I thought I would add the question.

Thanks again

Randy

varosd

my 88 520 has the trunnion on the topside but the owners manual ( which has terrible pictures) has it on the bottom. it works fine as it was always dealer serviced before I bought it. so I will leave it alone!

squonk

DSC00018.jpg

Here's a silly question. What does that little spring accomplish? My 160 doesn have one and the PTO works fine. I've seen them before and can't figure out what it's supposed to do. I know I'm getting old,but not that old!

varosd

Mike,

Now that you point it out, I have seen these springs but never thought about it ...it's amazing how much of the small things that we overlook. maybe its to keep the trunnion/pto rod from rattling? my B-80,when not engaged will sometimes rattle with the engine running.

WH854

DSC00018.jpg

Here's a silly question. What does that little spring accomplish? My 160 doesn have one and the PTO works fine. I've seen them before and can't figure out what it's supposed to do. I know I'm getting old,but not that old!

I think if you look up under the dash you will see one but a different size :thumbs: My 2 black hoods have it up under the dash.

Chas

WH854

post-5686-0-32370600-1334354175_thumb.jppost-5686-0-28597500-1334354190_thumb.jp

Sorry this took so long. The head on picture shows the oil pan. It's still red. The previous owner said the motor is a fairly recent short block which is why the block is gray. The red part looks bigger than any Kohler I have ever seen. Less clear is the side view, but it's fairly apparent that the bail is not centered on the clutch. Fortunately I have the means to move the bail if you guys think that will solve the problem.

Same tractor different problem. I ran it out of gas the other day. Shortly there after it would not start. Good spark, and fuel is coming from the pump. In the past this has been a carb problem so I rebuilt the carb. Unfortunately, the local Kohler dealer steered me wrong on the carb kit P/N and it came with the wrong needle. I reused the old one and am not anticipating a problem but I am wondering if the carb from a K301 will work? I would guess that the jets are smaller producing less power but my grass is going to need mowing soon so I may have to try it. I am going to post this as a separate topic but while I am here I thought I would add the question.

Thanks again

Randy

That hoop looks ok from my house it looks hooked up ok to me,but looks like you need to adjust that break or get a new one .

Chas

Callen

The spring should help hold the PTO handle againt the switch when it disengaged. If you pull the bail up, is there a hole in the top for a pin up by the trunion?

RJR49

WH854

If you look at the top of the clutch you will see that it is much closer to the bail than the bottom.

That spring pushes the clutch away from the disk and onto the brake. A forum member who knows much more than I says get rid of it. Apparently they break and ruin the needle bearings