Sign in to follow this  
multihobbyguy

D series blade lift problems

multihobbyguy

The blade on my D-180 quit going up and down but the cylinder is still moving. The blade was on it when I purchased the tractor and it just quit today. I was driving it to the garage to change the fluids and the blade dropped down and would not go up. I figure that a pin fell out but I could not find one on the ground anywhere. Here is a picture that I downloaded(click image to enlarge). So should there be a pin that goes through #1 and #2? Or should there be one that goes through #3? I am not real sure there should be a pin for the lift but it seems like it would work if I pinned it somewhere. Thank you, Chris.

D180lift.jpg

Trouty56

Is the rock shaft moving?? You may be missing something where the tab should catch at point 3. Points 1 and 2 are for down pressure. When the top of the rock shaft is pulled back by the cylinder the tab above point 2 should be drawn back also pulling the rest of the attachment points along with it. Make sense??

multihobbyguy

There is nothing in holes 1,2 or 3 currently. The two arms that are pointed up go back and forth with the cylinder. The bracket in between them and the one that attaches to the blade do not move currently.

Trouty56

Of the holes in the arms pointing up.....the top holes attach to the lift cylinder.....the bottom holes, if pinned, will lift the blade but will lock in the down pressure (this will work for you to get that blade up). The center holes should provide lift and float. I'll look at mine to see if there is a pin in the center holes. I thought something was welded there. But the center hole is the key here. Maybe somebody will provide a pic before I get a chance.

Trouty56

Ok Multi....guy, I got a pic and some good info for you. There is a pin at point 3 above to catch the tab on the one rock shaft arm. I couldn't tell nor took the time to see if it is welded in there but there is a pin.

D180lift.jpg

So you can see the pin through the top holes and the cylinder and then the pin in the second set of holes down. The pin catches the tab on the arm in the middle pulling it back and creating the lift. A pin in the third hole down would push creating down pressure.

post-1933-0-66487500-1334060589_thumb.jp

multihobbyguy

Thank you so much Bob! Now I know how to fix it. I would consider pinning the middle one to get more down force but with the blade I have that would not work without removing the spring and bolt. Thanks again for the help! Chris.

DSC03042.jpg

DSC03044.jpg

DSC03043.jpg

Trouty56

Hey Chris.......I have the same hook up. The blade weighs plenty and really doesn't need down pressure. Glad I could help.

multihobbyguy

I little update on the lift problem. I figured out that the lift mechanism was broken at the weld so I pulled it. I think I am going to try to re-weld this one and try to find an extra one in case it fails again. Here are some pictures.

DSC03078.jpg

DSC03079.jpg

DSC03083.jpg

DSC03082.jpg

DSC03081.jpg

DSC03080.jpg

73-18 automatic

WOW never seen one of those break

Trouty56

Good luck with that Chris. I hope you are better at welding than I am....lol

multihobbyguy

I used to be a pretty decent welder but I have not welded much of anything for years. I will probably just stick weld it. I don't think I can get the tig welder to penetrate enough. Thanks for wishing me luck. Hopefully someone with one for sale will see this and pm me so I can have a back up.

Trouty56

I like to have some backup stuff but this is not one of them. I really think if you weld this up good you will be good to go for a long time.... :)

multihobbyguy

If I buy one I will never need it but if I don't it will break next week or at least that has been my past history.

otrelwood

i think i have one on my parts tractor

multihobbyguy

Otrelwood I sent you a pm.

I fired up the welder today. I sharpened the tungsten and thought I would try to tig weld it. I was worried that I wouldn't get enough penetration but I think I got deep enough. The welds are not my best but I think they will hold for now.

DSC03084.jpg

DSC03085.jpg

DSC03086.jpg