Sign in to follow this  
Paul D.

mower deck noise

Paul D.

So tiller came off and after cleaning it out, lubing it up, and sharpening the blades the deck went on. It seems to be mowing great but I am getting some nasty noise from it. I pulled it back off and checked the bearings. They all seem to be in good shape The only thing I can see the noise coming from is from the idler pulley. Not the actual pulley but from the spring loaded arm that tensions the pulley. It seems to have some play in it side to side and I think it is vibrating. It is the 42" rear discharge deck (with the recycler mulching deck conversion). Has anyone else had this problem, and what if anything can be done to stop it? It doesn't really effect the functionality of the deck but its annoying as heck!

squonk

Does your deck have the spindles that are tapered and use a keyway and key to hold the pulley? I started to get a rattle in my 42 RD deck. Spun all the shafts looking for a bad one and didn't feel a thing. Noise finally got worse. Finally I got off the tractor with the deck still engaged and saw the center pulley moving around. Key way was wallowed out and key was almost gone.

Kelly

Don't forget to check the mule drive pulleys.

Hydro

If you use this model number "78355", go into the Toro Parts viewer site and look at the Assembly Drawings you will see a recycle deck assembly. It may not be exactly what you have but it should be close. If you take off the belt covers and engage the deck you should be able to see what's happening. Hopefully that will tell what you need to do. :)

kpinnc

The "L"-shaped bar that the idler pulley is on has plastic washers under the bolts. These allow the bar to "slide" back and forth with changes in tension. Sometimes those washers wear or even break, allowing excess slop at the bolts. On my 42SD deck, this made a loud roaring sound, that changed quite a bit with RPM changes. If those washers are still there, you can carefully snug them up- just be sure the bar can still move freely. I also used a short piece of garden hose over the center of my tension spring. It made quite a difference in the noise level.

Good luck!

Paul D.

The "L"-shaped bar that the idler pulley is on has plastic washers under the bolts. These allow the bar to "slide" back and forth with changes in tension. Sometimes those washers wear or even break, allowing excess slop at the bolts. On my 42SD deck, this made a loud roaring sound, that changed quite a bit with RPM changes. If those washers are still there, you can carefully snug them up- just be sure the bar can still move freely. I also used a short piece of garden hose over the center of my tension spring. It made quite a difference in the noise level.

Good luck!

I don't believe my deck has those nylon washers at all anymore. Are they just standard nylon washers like you would find at Ace or lowes or are they a specialty item that has to come from toro? What to are describing is exactly what my deck is doing.

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

can whlvr

i cant speak for all sources but when i redo decks(ive redone about 10)i have to get the special nylon from the dealer,they are t shaped,the bottom is bigger than the top so it doesnt slip up through the bar,they are not expensive,and it doesnt hurt to use the dealer for some things,but maybe you could find a source,i looked at a couple of bolt suppliers,bearing supplier,lowes,homedepot and gave up,spent more casg in fuel than the washers were

Paul D.

If you use this model number "78355", go into the Toro Parts viewer site and look at the Assembly Drawings you will see a recycle deck assembly. It may not be exactly what you have but it should be close. If you take off the belt covers and engage the deck you should be able to see what's happening. Hopefully that will tell what you need to do.

My deck is a 79 with a recycler mulching kit installed on the underside. Will that model # cover the parts for my deck (pulleys, bearings, wheels, rollers, ext.)

Tapatalk

Hydro

I can't answer that sorry, I had a 312 with the mulching deck and thought they can't be too much different but you would have to look at the assembly drawings to compare it to what you have. If you have a model number you might even find the drawings on the web site. My guess would be you could always modify something to work.

can whlvr

try 95-42mr01,thats a 42 side discharge from 1979,i dont think the recycler will affect the upper parts

dbartlett1958

The plastic bushing part # should be 107674.

Paul D.

Thanks guys. I believe that bushing is the problem. It just isn't there. I will have to go by the toro dealer this weekend and get some.

Tapatalk