Sign in to follow this  
Docwheelhorse

Things that make you go Hmmmmm? Kohler Block ID

Docwheelhorse

Hello All,

I was working on a Kohler Magnum 10 and noticed just above the drive pulley that cast into the block was K301???? :huh: Well everything on the Magnum says its a 10 and that would make it a K241.... SO is this block capable of being bored out to a 12 hp standard bore or is it just a fluke that ended up on the block?

Tony

rmaynard

Many of the K241's were made from the same casting as the K301 and had that mark. Any yes, they could be bored larger.

Didn't know any Magnums shared that block.

oldredrider

The Kohler web site doesn't even list a Magnum 10...Perhaps what you really have is a K series engine in disguise!

JC 1965

Wow ! That's good to know, I had no idea that Kohler used the same block on those two engines.

can whlvr

when doing a rebuild the guts are exactly the same other than the gasket set

Docwheelhorse

when doing a rebuild the guts are exactly the same other than the gasket set

Well.... besides gaskets you need a different piston....right??? I assume the stroke is the same so the crank and rod drop in.

Docwheelhorse

There are TONS of Magnum 10's out there.... Alot of the 310-8 machines are magnums.... don't know what the kohler site is up to?

coldone

Some info about the kohlers can be found here.

http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/engine.htm

You may have to dig a little but Brian tells about the differences.

WH854

The Kohler web site doesn't even list a Magnum 10...Perhaps what you really have is a K series engine in disguise!

Go here they list the Magnum M/MV8-20

http://www.kohlerplus.com/main_frame.asp

Chas

can whlvr

when i deal with the parts guy for rebuilding them he told me that they are all the same,thats pistons,rings,rods,and even gaskets except for the cam cover and the points which magnums dont have

oldredrider

I know Tony is right...there are plenty of "10hp magnums" out there...I seen 'em!!

This is the link to Kohler's site I was referring to: http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/productMatrix.htm

Maybe there were "tons" of 10hp K series left over and they morphed into Magnums?!

As has been mentioned, the only "real" difference between the K series and the magnum is electronic ignition, starter mounting, sheet metal and color. All the guts are the same.