Sign in to follow this  
HorseWhisperer

70 Electro issues

HorseWhisperer

I picked up a 70 Electro the other day,turned the tow valve to push it and it wouldn't move.got impatient and twisted it again.long story short-it moves freely now when engaged and off and has no parking brake or engaged running brakes.It goes forward and reverse but will not hold or stop.I love this Electro and hope its a simple fix!Any solutions?

HorseWhisperer

I think I found the answer :( Its the pawl?my 73 14 auto works flawless with return to neutral and braking(not sure how the braking actually works)as well as parking brake but the. 70 electro only goes forward and back and she no stops or parks without finding it acrossed the street.Both sundstrand but different?

pfrederi

There is no physical brake on your electro (other than the parking brake pawl). Stepping on the "Brake" pedal merely kicks the motion control lever to the neutral position and the hydro gear resistance stops the tractor.

With the parking brake handle pulled up (and the drive valve set to tow)can you push the tractor? If you can the parking pawl is most likely worn out.

You also need to make the neutral adjustment explained in the operators manual.

HorseWhisperer

I can push it no matter the position of any controls,except of course in motion.I understand its common on these.I shimmer the pawl rod out a few thousandths and it actually works.Why is it my 14 auto(73) and this is so different?they do have different pumps but same sundstrandt mfg.you could think of moving the 14 no matter the position of anything but the tow valve being open.The electro wants to roll away if ya turn your eyes off it!

pfrederi

The parking pawl (it really is a u-shaped loop) has been worn down by rubbing on the gear. When you shim it the unworn edge grabs the end of the gear tooth. It won't work that way for long.

If you can push it with the valve closed a leaky valve is likely. The manuals also suggest the keys in the transmission counter shaft as a possible cause.(but since your seem to move on its own I doubt it.)

Does teh tractor seem to have normal power...will it spin its wheels with you sitting on it pushing against something?

Is it a hydrogear or a piston to piston? (Hydrogears have a figure 8 (or hour glass) shape on the end of the casting...piston to piston a single round shape.) Original should have been a hydrogear but many were replaced with piston. If it is a piston there are some more checks. (what does your 14 auto have as a hydro?

• Like 1

HorseWhisperer

It seems to have normal power under load.It is a top tow valve 90-2046 with a strong hydro lift.I believe its a hydrogear.the 14 auto has the front spotted tow valve.I would be interested in a rebuild kit with an additional pawl.Would I search wheel horse/ toro or sundstrandt?The tranny is wheel horse correct?

pfrederi

I am not sure what you mean by a rebuild kit. The Parking Brake Pawl #5966 is NLA. If you have access to welder you could build up the pawl and then file/grind it to be like new. You could post a wanted ad here as some one was selling some some time ago.

I am somewhat curious as to the fact that you can push it with the valve in the drive position yet it still has full power when operating. Neither of my hydro gears (Charger and Electro) will move more than a foot or two when i push them in drive. Also neither will move at all if the valve is in tow. Usually it is a leaky tow valve that allows you to push it in drive position. A small leak would be over come by th engine driving the pump but you would have some lost power. The strength of the lift is not relevant here as the lift will work even if the tow valve is in push. The lift runs off the charge pump. the tow valve bleeds off pressure from the hydro gear.

The hydro gears were replaced as they were "non-serviceable". The Sundstrand hydro manual has limited info on the hydro gears, pretty much limited to the various valves.

HorseWhisperer

Rebuild kit as in necessary relevant gaskets and seals to split the trans case?thought that might be too easy.You think the tow valve might be leaky?Is it possible to fix that?

HorseWhisperer

Its as puzzling to me as well.I think the tow valve hadn't been spun in many years cause it was hard to turn,and then it wasn't.Its probably the reason.I see it has a giant nut that appears you can pull the entire assembly out.Is there an o ring or something simple I wonder to repair?

pfrederi

I am more familiar with the Piston to piston hydros. There is no "kit". Some gaskets are still available (the motor to tranny gasket and the tranny center gasket). There are O rings on the tow valve but i can't say if that is your problem. The tow valve on piston to piston are different. You should download the Sundstrand Hydro Manual from Toro (and other places).

pfrederi

Case gasket 5999 motor to trany gasket 5955

HorseWhisperer

I have been in and out of the manual.I have it open everyday.Thanks for the part # on the gaskets btw.The manual leads to the relief valve/ tow valve at fault but I cant determine what exactly is to blame.I would guess some o rings damaged?Thank you so much for the help.

pfrederi

Good Luck! Let us know what you find..Older Hydros are some what of a mystery around here.

HorseWhisperer

:hide:I really wanna figure this out.I will update with any findings.

kpinnc

I have a Charger 10 with the hydrogear that does the same thing. It rolls freely regardless of the tow valve setting, but has a strong pump as well.

Heck if I know. There are so many moving parts in these things, and each part has different wear from one machine to another. I would use the tow valve as recommended regardless, and enjoy the tractor. Change the fluid and filter as you should, and hope for the best. These things may outlive all of us!

• Like 1

HorseWhisperer

I have been inside and out of a dozen ol hydrogears and have found the same conclusions to most troubles.Its the forward/reverse relief springs giving out and causing damage.I can troubleshoot,tear apart,and fix if only the parts were still available through anyone:( I made one good one from three.I wish I knew the 32 digit origin # for sundstrandt.