Sign in to follow this  
shootinok

GT-1642 all switches bad... REALLY ?!

shootinok

Finally got some time to play around with my old rusted GT-1642 I scored a few months back.

I could get it to run by jumping the solenoid but could not get it to start with the key. Then starter quit all together.

I started by replacing the starter which was rusted badly and internally just a mess. Replaced the Solenoid - nothing.

I began chasing the wiring around and found the PO had deleted PTO switch just taped the wires together - rather poorly.

I finally found a manual online with the wiring diagram that identified the wires by color. Much testing and a multimeter I figured out the clutch switch and the seat safety switch were also bad..

What are the odds that ALL the safety switches went bad ??

eliminating all three switches and this old Workhorse will start on the first crank now!!

Now on to cleaning out the milky sludge in the rear end.... :shock:

squonk

Garden tractor safety switches. This is where the term "Cut and Paste" came from! :)

Sparky

What are the odds that ALL the safety switches went bad ??

I doubt they all just went bad at once. I'm thinking in its 28 years of life they have (one by one) gone bad and were bypassed with a crummy electrical tape fix each time till they were all gone.

Mike............

SousaKerry

Safety 3rd

Shuboxlover

When these stitches don't get used, and this compounded by the fact it was sitting outside = certain death for safety switches. I have been able to bring a few back to life by using contact cleaner, but it's not always a fix.