Sign in to follow this  
1054josh

Round hood help please

1054josh

Hi all, im in a bit of a pickle here. My problem is that i have a 702 and the hood i have needs some repair on the front bottom edge where it mounts to the frame. I want this restore to be as close to original as possible and would like some input on what i should do. Is the mount that i have original or has someone replaced it? does anyone have a good pick of an original mount? Am i taking hood to far and should i just leave how is? Here are some pics of the problem area. Thanks in advance this is such a vast information place i love it,u all are awesome.post-6518-0-52156800-1333661505.jpgpost-6518-0-50709300-1333661506.jpgpost-6518-0-01105900-1333661507.jpgpost-6518-0-55498100-1333661507.jpgpost-6518-0-11767800-1333661508.jpg

O and here is how its coming so far rest is being painted hopefully next week

post-6518-0-74217500-1333661566.jpg

sorekiwi

Thats a fairly typical problem area on a round hood.

There is a pic on how I repaired the one on my Ranger here:

Basically I cut out all the bottom and replaced it with new steel. Cut the bracket off the old metal and welded it to the new patch. Its not hard to do if you take your time and pay attention to keeping everything lined up where it should be. Its all in a hard to see spot so any imperfections arent out in plain view for the world to see.

Jake Kuhn

Tractor is looking really good! Jake

AMC RULES

Looks like it's been repaired before, is that weld material or Bondo in there? :scratchead:

1054josh

Thanks for the link sorekiwi.it helps a little. Thanks jake and its brazing craig.is that what the mount is suppose to look like?

1054josh

Any of u round hood guys got an original hood mount that would care to share a pic? I sure would be thankful

rmaynard

I'm going to dredge this one up again since I have a similar issue with my 701 hood. This is what the bottom of mine looks like.

post-2221-0-38083000-1348573382_thumb.jp

post-2221-0-90768800-1348573400_thumb.jp

post-2221-0-94998700-1348573425_thumb.jp

post-2221-0-23399500-1348573433_thumb.jp

As you can see from the last picture showing the inside, the metal is cracked in the center and at both rivets. This allows the bracket to wobble. Was the bracket attached by pop-rivets from the factory, or is this a repair?

Any idea what the oval hole is for?

My initial thought was to remove the rivets, make a backer plate to go on the inside, and sandwich the cracked hood between the bracket and the backer. Any thoughts?

littleredrider

I'm pretty sure they were tack welded on. Possibly where that center hole it....

rmaynard

You are correct. Closer inspection reveals an old tack weld at the arrows, and probably one where the rivets are now.

post-2221-0-73774700-1348575696_thumb.jp

AMC RULES

Seems at some point over the years, mine has been repaired too. Original spot welds are still visible though.

post-3498-0-25784200-1348588589_thumb.jp

SousaKerry

The oval hole may have been a carrier for a progressive die or an alignment hole for the form die(if it was a one hit die,) but more then likely a stress relief point or even a place for the water to drain out when out in the rain. One thing for sure the Manufacturing Engineer who put it there is probably long gone, and we will never know.

Kelly

They were welded on, I have a few 701 hoods, some repaired, but 2 orig. I think the nose of the hood is from the dies that made the suburban hoods and that hole is how they bolted them to the frame on the mid engine tractors.

rmaynard

I figured that if anyone would know, it would be Kelly. :thumbs:

Kelly

That is a guess on the hole, but it is the same hole as the suburban hoods I've had, and the nose part with out the grille is the same as a suburban.

I'd weld up the cracks, grind it down, drill out the rivet holes a bit, drill out the two holes just off center in the bracket and plug weld them to the hood, that is how I'm going to fix my nice hood that is missing the bracket, after I rob the bracket off a hood someone cut up, the 701 bracket is not the same as the newer ones also, another 701 only item.

TT

You are correct on the hole, Kelly.

As a matter of fact, they are the exact same hood as a 401/551 - except for the rear mounting holes / tank cut-out and the added front bracket.

rmaynard

I'd weld up the cracks, grind it down, drill out the rivet holes a bit, drill out the two holes just off center in the bracket and plug weld them to the hood...

Since my welding skills involve burning holes in sheet metal, I think that I will stick with rivets.

Kelly

You missed one thing TT, the 401/551 gas tank fill hole, is not there....... just pickin on ya. :ychain:

I think at some point over the years here, I seen where someone cut up a ranger hood to fit the alum gas tank tractors, and filled the ranger tank hole also.

TT

Oops.... no gas tank hole either. :hide:

"kpinnc" has this one now, but I did the 551 hood on a 701 a while back:

8a198e42.jpg

d279d24f-1.jpg

You bought a nice one, Bob!

There's going to be a bunch of them at Arendtsville by the looks of it.

SousaKerry

8a198e42.jpg

Wow I am so jealous of that scrap pile, mine doesn't look half as good or valuable :ychain: :hilarious:

rmaynard

You bought a nice one, Bob!

There's going to be a bunch of them at Arendtsville by the looks of it.

Thanks TT. Are we going to see you and your '61's there next year?

TT

Are we going to see you and your '61's there next year?

I would like to be there next year. I still have a 701 left - which I'll be sure to bring. :handgestures-thumbup:

woodchuckfarmer

Would that little hole be there to hang them on the paint line ?

rmaynard

I don't think they would have needed a hole that big. This hole is about 3/8" x 3/4".