Sign in to follow this  
Docwheelhorse

Electrical Question... Air Compressor Trouble

Sparky

Just to clairify, what he will have is 2/3 SER tied to a 100 2 pole breaker in his 200a main house panel. It runs into his main garage where there had been plans for a 100 sub panel but it never happened. But the wire was run for it. In the main garage we are splicing the 2/3 and continueing the run thru the garage, thru the conduit he installed yesterday, and into the new garage/workshop where it ends in a 100 main lug sub-panel. Then the lights get their own circuit, the plugs get their own circuit and the compressor gets its own circuit. Now he can expand to a bigger compressor, add a welder to the garage...etc....etc.

Unfortunately the compressor that started all this may still be messed up from the time it spent running on low voltage. I'll have the final connections done today and we'll test it out.

Mike.............

Docwheelhorse

Hello All,

well its all done and we through the switch and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzoooooooom the compressor started instantly and when we tested it it had a 24 amp start load which settled down to 14.7..... the at rest voltage was 123.5 and the running voltage was 119.5..... I guess its all better and its all because of Sparky..... :bow-blue:

Now I get running water , a shower and a toilet and I can move in.... :banana-dance:

Tony

• Like 1

squonk

I recall someone here saying something about a sub feed. :eusa-whistle: Electrical problems can be fun. We got a house at work with 60's "project house wiring." It was used a place for new doctors to live in until they get their own place. Now it's used as an office. Lights keep blinking driving every one nuts. Half of the lights are on one phase and the other half is on another. Traced it out to be a copier that has an internal heater that cycles every min. House checks out ok. Trying to talk the power co. into coming and open the meter so we can check inside it. We either have a loose wire or need to upgrade the service. Yesterday a co worker lost the neutral inside his meter. All kinds of strange things happened there. Good thing someone was home!

Docwheelhorse

Well.... yes I "heard" the suggestions on the sub panel.... I didn;t realise how relatively inexpensive or relatively easy it would be to do.... Digging the ditch sucked---but don;t they all. Sparky did all the work with me playing apprentice as far as the whole wiring job. I'm all set now.....

Tony