Sign in to follow this  
Raider10

New 1970 lawn ranger project

Raider10

:) Just Had this little Lawn Ranger given the other week along with a rake and small roller and a rear mounted trail mower made from most of the original cutting deck.

post-6158-0-13438600-1333308823.jpg

Thought it was much newer than it actually is because of the modern looking engine. Turns out to be, i think, a 1970 model, but cant be sure as there is no id plate, but the fuel tank and gearbox both have 69 stamped on them. There doesnt seem to be many of these little tractors about and i cant find hardly any pics of them on the web. Seems to me like a great little tractor and i am going to treat it to bit of a resto.post-6158-0-47743300-1333308836.jpg

post-6158-0-30279800-1333308848.jpg

the engine is not original and is only 4.5 horses but still pulls well and is still a Tecumseh like the original.

All it needed was the carb fettling and pull start repairing and it started on the second pull. I have since re wired it and fitted a fresh starter motor as the pinion was stripped. It now starts instantly on the key. The bonnet needed repairing too as it was smashed in half under the head light hole and completely broken off at the bottom where the hinge bolts on. A few layers of fibre glass and some filler and it was soon re attatched.

Also the king pins were badly worn so ive re pinned and bushed those too. A previous owner has fitted rose joints to the track rods and drag link so the steering is now quite tight. Next on the list is the clutch mechanism which is a bit worn and the gearbox to strip to inspect it. Once i know everything is sound then the resto can begin.

Will post more pics when i get chance.

post-6158-0-94183200-1333308829.jpg

AMC RULES

:text-datsphatyo: :text-coolphotos:

farmer

One of those was my first :wh: , it lasted from 1971 - 1993 just needed belts...... oh and couple of decks, couple of engines, I think by the time it had to be put down :deadhorse:

it had no bonnet, and most of the plastic rear wing was missing, :hide: I was young and a bit of an animal back then.

Good luck with it :thumbs: , any clue as to what you may call it ? :ychain:

bowtiebutler956

Sweet!! I really like the custom pull behind mower. :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

Raider10

One of those was my first :wh: , it lasted from 1971 - 1993 just needed belts...... oh and couple of decks, couple of engines, I think by the time it had to be put down :deadhorse:

it had no bonnet, and most of the plastic rear wing was missing, :hide: I was young and a bit of an animal back then.

Good luck with it :thumbs: , any clue as to what you may call it ? :ychain:

Cheers farmer. :woohoo:

It has tom written on front and back. Think it probably belonged to someones kid at some point. It been well looked after for most of its life. Theres no rot wot so ever. It even has the original grease nipple covers on the front wheels and three of the hub caps. looks like some childs pride and joy which they called tom so will probably call it that my self. Seems a good name for a little tractor.

wheeledhorseman

That's a really cool little tractor - I can see why you'd want to give it a good home. :)

Andy

Raider10

That's a really cool little tractor - I can see why you'd want to give it a good home. :)

Andy

:ychain: This is why i havent been on for a while. Been projecting non stop since picking it up last saturday. Just don't know when to stop. Havent finished the C105 properly yet. That is now on the back burner for a while. Got the week after easter off which is a good do. A full weeks tinkering to be done. Cant wait. :banana-tux:

kpthorsefan

Hi raider10,

Here is mine i picked up last january but needs alot of work, i have got it running but needs alot of welding on the back end,the tin worm has been very busy.

DSCF0792.jpg

DSCF0796.jpg

Raider10

Hi raider10,

Here is mine i picked up last january but needs alot of work, i have got it running but needs alot of welding on the back end,the tin worm has been very busy.

DSCF0792.jpg

DSCF0796.jpg

Hi there Kpthorsefan.

Have i seen that little tractor on another forum? Was trying to find some pics of a lawn ranger last week and could only find a few. Saw one with a lot of tin worm on the back end which had some really good looking fab work being done. Was it yours?

I have been really fortunate with mine. There is no rot what soever. Just a bit of surface rust here and there, mainly holding the steering wheel on. That was the only thing ive struggled with so far. I tried a bearing puller to start with but that just bent the puller

post-6158-0-07410800-1333396304.jpg

So i had to get brutal! Wheres my angle grinder!!!

post-6158-0-59983600-1333396310.jpg

Easiest way in the end was to chop the column off so i could put it in the press. 9.5 tons before it went bang and fired it out. Most pressure ive had on the guage so far. It had to come off because you have to lift off the dash/ rear fender to get at the back of the ignition swtch and the wiring and the steering column bushes which needed replacing. Glad the body work is fibreglass as that will never rot.

Its nice to see another one though as they dont seem too popular. I think it is a really neat little tractor and very compact. It would be nice to see a few more pics if anybody has any.

Cheers.

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

You chopped the column in half! :scared-eek: I've often come to the point where I thought I was going to have to do that, but could never bring myself to actually take my saw after it. Your my hero! :ROTF:

Matt :flags-texas:

Raider10

:woohoo: Seemed like the only way forward. I'd already broken a few bits off the wheel under the spokes and didnt want to ruin the wheel any more so out came the grinder. I soon had it welded together again though and you cant tell as i veed out the colulmn before welding and then turned it down in the lathe so you cant see the join. I then glued the bits back on the steering so that still looks ok too.

Ian

meadowfield

there is always the alternative steering wheel removal method...

third gear, lean back, drop the clutch - snap !

thats how I removed the wheel off the C-101 - it was hard to steer using the boss that was left :ychain:

• Like 1

kpthorsefan

Hi raider10,

yes that was mine with all the tin worm, but it looks a lot better now :),and i had to do the same thing with my steering wheel, i just took one look and i knew it would not come off, i have done a few of them and been lucky with some and damaged one or two..

Here is my ranger wheel and has been soaking in WD-40 for a few weeks, it will soon be in the press.

kevin..

DSCF1031.jpg

meadowfield

Kevin,

any chance you can post a picture of the serial number plate. It's missing on this one and we'd like to replace it with the right type (we'll add a few numbers on from your serial number - they can be close relatives then)

cheers

kpthorsefan

Kevin,

any chance you can post a picture of the serial number plate. It's missing on this one and we'd like to replace it with the right type (we'll add a few numbers on from your serial number - they can be close relatives then)

cheers

I will go and have a look in the box of bits and take a photo...

kevin.. Ps. but i think mine is a 1971 model..

Raider10

:ychain: Ey up. Was a bit miffed that the serial no plate was missing. Only guessing its a 70 model by the date stamped on the fuel tank and gear box. Both of which say 69. Cant find hardly any info or pics any where. Would like a pic of a cutter deck if anyone has one so i can see what all the brackets and other gubbins look like.

Any way got the gear box stripped sunday afternoon to make sure all was ok inside. Here it is before the strip down.

post-6158-0-46081100-1333482632.jpg

looks grubby and its full of grey and black paint, but no oil leaks and it was full of fairly clean oil.

Everything inside is ok too. Just the usual bits worn off the gears with crunching it into gear, but not bad after 40 years.

post-6158-0-66340600-1333482615.jpg

the casings cleaned up pretty well too.

post-6158-0-96060500-1333482623.jpg

just waiting for 4 new oil seals now and i can rebuild it knowing its all ok. :woohoo:

kpthorsefan

Hi raider10,

here is the id plate off my ranger...

DSCF1032.jpg

meadowfield

awesome Kevin !!!

meadowfield

heres the new serial number just for completeness !!!

2-0201lawnrangerserial.jpg

and kevins....

DSCF1032.jpg

think we might get away with that :)

Raider10

Jobs a good un. Cheers Chaps. Better get my ar$£ in gear. Just booked it in for Ardingly show. Made a good start today and got it completely stripped. Its in garage now with copious amounts of paint stripper all over it. Getting new belt and oil seals for gearbox tomorrow and also going for some paint. Hope to post more pics soon.

:) Ian

Edited by Raider10

Raider10

:woohoo: Think i might have finally sussed this photo bucket thingy wotsit!

So hopefully heres some more pics of Tom my little lawn ranger.

Heres the chassis with paint stripper applied.

http://i1249.photobu...angy364/029.jpg029.jpg

And after wards all paint free and in incredibly rust free condition

http://i1249.photobu...angy364/035.jpg035.jpg

Now all cleaned and attatched to my engine stand so i can turn it over to get to either side easily to paint it

http://i1249.photobu...angy364/039.jpg

039.jpg

Went out and bought some goodies

http://i1249.photobu...angy364/033.jpg033.jpg

Sorry if its all over the place. Havent got the hang of this photo malarky yet. Need to take more pics as ive progressed a long way this week and nearly everything except the wheels, bonnet and dashy mudguardy bit is ready to paint red. the only thing stopping me is ive gone and bought another tin of red paint thats more orange than red!!!

Cheers for looking. Ian

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Looks like you're making good progress to me...keep up the good :wh: work.

Raider10

:) Cheers Amcrules. Been busy again today. Heres afew more pics.

Got chassis primed and just trying engine as i need to make an outlet for the exhaust so it blows out through the hole in the chassis

001.jpg

Heres the pipe cut and shaped ready to weld

003.jpg

004.jpg

And now welded on.

005.jpg

And cleaned up a little.

006.jpg

Lots of parts primed.

007.jpg

Ah! more refreshments! Thirsty work wheel cleaning.

025-1.jpg

An inquisitive nephew.

026-1.jpg

Thats a bit blurred. Maybe the camera didnt like my nephew!

Edited by Raider10

meadowfield

Well somehow my favourite brother has managed to move his photobucket pictures and break the links!!!!!

but he's been hard at work and here are some pics...

enjoy

IMG-20120506-00643.jpg

IMG-20120506-00645.jpg

IMG-20120506-00644.jpg

Stigian

Looking good :thumbs: though that seat looks a bit hard!! :ROTF:

Interesting to see the trans, what make is it? I thought it would of had a Peerless the same as a Westwood?