Sign in to follow this  
bo dawg

Spindle/housing bearing removal

bo dawg

I change the bearings in the mower deck spindle housing the hard way with out a press or puller. I use a punch to drive them out and then to install new ones I use a hard piece of plastic pipe fitting the same size as the outer ring of the bearing.

But what does everyone else use and go about replacing them?

bowtiebutler956

I do it the easy way, with my arbor press. Now before I had a press, I used all kind of different methods. Like my dad always said "where there is a will, there is a way". Words I've learned to live by. :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

can whlvr

i dont have a press so its a plastic hammer and flat head to drive them out,but for people who havnt done this go slow and move the driver around the bearing,i bkoke a housing last time i changed bearings on one of my decks

squonk

I had to replace some bearings last year. For some reason I could not no way no how get a punch of any kind to catch the race of the bearing to drive it out. I took it to a friend of mine who is a fabricator and builds racing engines for go-karts. He didn't have a punch either so he heated the spindle housing with his rosebud torch and the bearings fell out. I stuck the new bearings in the freezer for a couple of days and stuck the housing on the garage heater. They about fell back in. :)