Sign in to follow this  
bo dawg

Carb question

bo dawg

My 68 Charger 10hp Kohler has a bad carb that needs fixed. It is the # 26 Carter. What other carb can I use on it that wont hurt the motor? Sorry...I dont know a lot about carbs other than it takes one to move gas for the motor to run. LOL

I have a slight bigger one off a 16hp but I know you can do damage if it has bigger jets or throtle body or something like that. :eusa-think:

rmaynard

Kohler replaced the Carter's with Walbro's when the EPA got on them about hydrocarbon output. Walbro's are a direct fit, but most lack an adjustable high speed jet.

tunahead72

Walbro's are a direct fit, but most lack an adjustable high speed jet.

But they are available, with two jets that is. The guy who rebuilt my K241 a couple of years ago replaced the original carb (Carter, I presume) with a Walbro that has both a main and an idle fuel needle, seems to work just fine.

bo dawg -- What is it on your old carb that needs to be fixed, and why do you think you need to replace it instead of repairing it?

bo dawg

well...the carb isn't that bad it needed cleaning which I just got done doing. The throttle shaft is pretty sloppy and it has been that way for a while. I had another carb off of an extra 16hp Kohler I got and was wanting to put it on to use the tractor till I got this one repaired. I don't feel comfortable trying to drill out and put in a replacement brass sleeve on my own to fix the throttle slop. The other carb I don't see anything on it telling me what it is. Looks similar but bigger opening.

64s

bo dawg, I can understand you apprehension with repairing the carb, but I've learned that most repairs really aren't that difficult if you take your time and use common sense - and if you screw it up, you weren't going to use it anyways!! So consider it as practice, if it works its a home run and if not, you might have learned something.

bowtiebutler956

Kohler replaced the Carter's with Walbro's when the EPA got on them about hydrocarbon output. Walbro's are a direct fit, but most lack an adjustable high speed jet.

The Walbro replacement carb I got off :techie-ebay: has high speed adjust on my K-301. I know the pic isnt real clear but there are three screws on the carb, high speed, low speed, and idle speed. :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

post-6076-0-67555600-1333233574.jpg

KyBlue

You can get bushings to repair the Shaft Slot and the air leaks from around them ... I need to do it to mine ... just havent had the heart to tear into a decent running carb to do it..

bo dawg

Yeah I order a bronse bushing and carb overhaul kit to fix it up with. The #26 carb already has the recess the bushing sits down in. No drilling...cool! But have to grind off the back side of those little screws so to remove the plate so I can pull the shaft out. Never can be easy!

joel_400

I usually dont even remove the throttle shaft just to rebush the top. Just grind the top of the shaft down so you can remove the lever from the shaft. Then drill the end of the shaft and put a small screw in the top. Probably could just peen it over again but i figured it makes it easier to repair next time this way. Next time i do one i will post a pic.

Joel

• Like 1

gwgdog66

bo dawg. I've got a carter #30 on my K241 right now, from a K 321. I did have to adjust it a little. It does run stronger now. Short term use of the K341 carb (if it will fit) should keep you running until the #26 carter is fixed.

• Like 1

bo dawg

Put the bushing in for the throttle shaft and it is snug as a bug. Runs sweet! Should have done this a long time a go. I didn't have to remove the throttle shaft just slid the bushing over it and used a socket to tap it down into the resess hole and :woohoo:

• Like 1

tunahead72

Nice! :handgestures-thumbup:

joel_400

Awesome! Glad to hear it worked out easy for you!

Joel

bo dawg

Awesome! Glad to hear it worked out easy for you!

Joel

Oh yeah...thanks Joel for the tip and help.