Sign in to follow this  
pittironworks3

64' wheelhorse 704 fuel pump

pittironworks3

I have a 1964 704 work in progress . i have seen some motors that have a plate over the spot on the engine block where the fuel pump should be . is there a big difference in having a fuel pump and not having one and does the placement of the fuel tank play any part in this situation . any thought appreciated just to cure some curiosity . Thanks

64s

I'm not an expert on that engine, but I believe it 'should' have a fuel pump. That being said, you really don't need one if the fuel tank is above the carb. I'd run a pump if it were me. Good Luck!

I just looked up the engine and it uses the same vacumn fuel pump as the 181, which is part number B-231390-S and no longer available. There are other that will fit.

smoreau

I think that is a vacuum pump for that engine that mounts under the carb. I have one on my 875 and it is necessary if you plan on driving it on any incline or grade.

pittironworks3

Thankyou for the info guys much appreciated

squonk

When I got my 704 the pump was shot. It stopped running if the gas got below 1/2 tank.

WH nut

I believe you can put the mechanic pump on the 7hp motor. If Im not mistaken the cam has the fuel pump lobe on it