Sign in to follow this  
dustycarter

Wiring problems

dustycarter

Well let me just say I HATE WIRING. I have a 312-8 and I have major wiring problems. My relay keeps going out and Im tired of replacing them. Is there any way i can bypass all the safety junk, all the indicator lights(never have used them) and just have wiring for my hour meter, amp meter and thats it? I just want to be able to turn the key and it start. Dont want no lights like I said just the hour meter and amp meter to work. SO if anybody knows how to do this please let me know. It will save me a major headache. Thank you!

rmaynard

What year is your 312-8?

dustycarter

It is an 89 i BELIEVE

rmaynard

Do you have magneto or battery ignition? Do you still have the ID tag?

dustycarter

Yes I do have the Id tag. 24172 is what is on it. Kohler magnum m12 471527. I guess it is battery. Like I said I am guessing though

dustycarter

Now the relay that is on it, is there any way to by pass it and just connect those wires or do i actually need it on there? I got my hour meter and amp meter to work. I messed around with some wires and the diagram and got those to work.

rmaynard

24172 does not match any 312-8

rmaynard

I just posted a demystification guide for the wiring on your 1989 312-8 in the files section. Take a look at the second image (start circuit). It shows the relay (low oil). As long as you check you oil regularly, I don't see why you can't jumper the contacts if that is your only problem.

dustycarter

Thank you very much for the file. I am just going to keep the basics. one more question, how do I bypass the relay? I really appreciate all of your help!

rmaynard

According to the diagram, it looks like there is a light blue and a purple wire attached to the relay. Remove them from the relay and hook them together. There will be 12 volts present when the key is turned to start, so be sure you wrap some tape around it so it doesn't short out to ground.

dustycarter

Got it to working. Your a genius. Im glad you all are smart at this stuff. Ive been working on it for almost a month then I come on here and have it done in 10 minutes. Thanks again!

rmaynard

Not a problem. It's a pleasure to be able to help.

Now just remember to check your oil frequently. Without the low oil switch in play, you have to be careful that you don't ignore it or you will have bigger problems. :)

dustycarter

Yes your a life saver. I always check the oil in everything i use even when I had the oil switch. I keep it just right and hopefully it will last me a long time and no more wiring issues. Thanks again for all the help! Dusty