Sign in to follow this  
boovuc

Mower Mounting for a Better Cut!?!

boovuc

I read somewhere on a blip response on another subject about hanging your mower deck with a chain-link rather than using the metal "stud" at the end of the lift riser.

I've been using a Wheelhorse tractor of some sorts since around 1990 but I have always "slid" the end of the riser into the slot on the deck. I've done this to everyone of my tractors and I'm not getting the chain attachment deal. Sometimes my cut leaves a little to be desired and this is with sharp blades and a slower mowing speed. I also checked for a "poped" deck and it isn't.

The person who stated this on a subject I long ago forgot said that it improves the deck's floating charactoristics and no one else commented on the statement leaving me to wonder if more people did this.

So who attaches their decks with chain-link rather than the solid metal stud that I'm acustomed to. This is on C series and 300, 400 & 500 series tractors.

Thanks in Advance!

Hydro

I can't see any advantage to doing that :confusion-shrug:

CRE1992

A floating deck allows the deck to contour to the curves and bumps on the lawn. This could actually work for WH decks. I never had a problem with the way my decks cut so I never thought of it. However now that you mentioned it, my dixie choppers deck is a floating deck. And the cut on that deck is extremely nice. I will post a pic if it ever stops raining.

dsholler

I am no expert on these things, but having just put the deck on my tractor, I am not sure adding a chain would make any difference. That bracket is pretty rigid, and while the chain would remove any tension from the lift bar, the bracket in the mid-hitch would prevent the deck from rolling side to side at an angle, at least any more than is allowed by the movement of the bracket. I am not sure the rigid lift bar is much of an impediment to that movement, which would be pretty slight in any case.

I am also not sure how you would do this in a way that would still allow you to raise the deck. I don't know about you, but I have to ride over driveway edges and belgian blocks and stuff to get where I need to go..

TT

Early Attach-Matic models used a steel rod to connect the "T bar" to the lift lever arm. The rod was supposed to slide freely through the trunnion but could possibly bind.

Newer (1978 & later) tractors were equipped with a chain, eliminating any chance of binding.

tbar.png

boovuc

Maybe the comment I read had to do with the early Attach-Matic lift arm. I also thought that adding just a two link chain would short change the lift of the mower deck. I might play around with the 42 inch side discharge deck that seems to not cut real well. (I have several so I have to find which one was the culprit). I have looked at all the common issues with these like blade spacers leaving one or two blades higher than another. The metal pop of the deck which I don't sem to have and different spindle designs used on the deck. I thought I would throw it out there. Thanks for the comments you guys.

CRE1992

boovuc try changing the blades to high lift blades. I had a set on my 416H with a 42" deck and it cut great.

This is at my cabin in upstate NY in June after mowing with the 416.

IMG_0641.jpg