Sign in to follow this  
Paul D.

Help. I Think My Starter May Be Smoked!

Paul D.

So went out to mow the lawn before we head out of town tomorrow and the tractor started turning over but not very well. The battery is new so I know that's not it. I try turning a little more and then it just clicks. And a little thread of smoke comes out of the starter. Although I can turn the motor over by hand. I won't have time to pull it apart and look at it until Sunday afternoon at the earliest buy I'm thinking it's smoked. So I guess my question is do I look for a used one to replace mine or do I look at getting mine rewound. I'm no sure how much it would cost to have it rewound but it has to be cheaper than buying a new one. If anyone has any input I would greatly appreciate it. I don't want to dump anyone money in to this right know than I have too. It's a c-141 just in case that matters

Thanks

rmaynard

I purchased a brand new one off eBay for $24.00 a few months ago. It was probably made in China, It works like it should, but I don't know if it will hold up like the 40 year old one it replaced.

smoreau

At that point I would grab one of my spare starters. PM Kelly, I'm sure he has 2-3 dozen that you could chose from.

Paul D.

So I went out to the tractor to check for some #'s on my old starter. I found them for $54 on amazon with free shipping. While I was out there I tried to kick it over a few times and after about 5 clicks it started working again! I guess my question know is what does this mean? Do I take it apart clean it put it back together and forget about it, Do I change the brushes, or do I still need to pick up a new starter. :confusion-confused:

squonk

I would check your cables too. A large voltage drop in them would cause the cranking amps to go up which could or did damage the starter. Then I would check the starter brushes. If you don't want to go through all that replace the cables and buy a starter. Cables can look fine but have enough strands broken inside to cause many problems.

smoreau

Or it has bad brushes, or warn armature. You can buy a brush kit and see if that helps.

AMC RULES

Not sure what starter your machine uses, but there's a bunch of used :wh: originals listed on ebay. :dunno:

Paul D.

It's the original starter on a K341. I've found them on Amazon for $54 but if its just a matter of brushes I will just change them. I will tear into it Sunday evening. Stay tuned. I will post my findings.

Either way I need that tractor up and running next weekend. I've got gardens to till dang it!

Kelly

I bet you will find the smoke was from the cable connection at the starter, clean all the connections and put a dab of Dialectic grease on them.

Paul D.

So pulled the starter off last night. When I pulled the cap off the end there were chunks of magnet stuck to it. When they broke loose they had sheared off some of the wires on the winding. This explains the smoke I saw coming from the starter. Ordered a new one off of amazon and it should be here in the next few days. $54 and free shipping. I'm sure it won't last as long as the original but it didn't cost me $175 either.

bowtiebutler956

I don't have much money, so I'm all for aftermarket. You could change that starter 3 times before it cost as much as a factory Kohler unit, but I really doubt you will have any problems with your new starter. I haven't had any problems with my aftermarket parts. :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

Tap53

Ya know, this guy wanted to get into this nightclub, the bouncer said No, you need a tie on, the guy goes back to his car and looks around and

all he could find is some jumper cables, so he tied them around his neck, and went back to the bouncer and said,"I couldn't find a tie, but will this do"

The bouncer says, I guess it will, but when you get in I dont want you to start anything.

Paul D.

Thats BAD :text-banplz:

Paul D.

So the wife says I've got a package waiting at home (starter). Guess I will pick up my wheels from the tire shop(beet juice) and go home and gitter back up and running!

bowtiebutler956

:woohoo: I love getting new parts in. :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

Paul D.

Tractor started so fast it startled me. I don't ever remember it starting so quick. I was like a kid on christmas morning.

Raider10

:woohoo: You just cant beat buying some new bits for your horse. I was excited when my new battery arrived. Just fitted a new starter (second hand) starter to my 70 lawn ranger too. well chuffed. :banana-tux: