Sign in to follow this  
joel_400

stalling craftsman tecumseh push mower

joel_400

Im trying to help the nieghbor kid with a craftsman push mower. It would only start if you gave it a shot of ether. Then it would die right away. So i took the carb all apart and cleaned it very thoroughly. Now if you prime it 5-6 times it starts right up then dies after 2-3 seconds. I tried loosening the fuel cap too. Have had that problem before, boy does that make you feel dumb! Any input on this matter would definitely be appreciated, especially by the nieghbor kid. Just too bad its a vertical shaft, or i could put a kohler on it and be done!

Joel

tunahead72

Just a couple of thoughts off the top of my head, but I'm no expert:

• Check the fuel tank for any junk inside, clean it out real good if necessary.
  • Check the fuel line, replace it if it's brittle or cracked, or maybe just replace it on general principle -- rubber lines tend to deteriorate quickly with this ethanol-laced stuff they call gas these days.
  • Make sure the fuel is fresh, anything more than a month or so old I would consider replacing just to see if it helps.
  • Make sure the plug is clean and properly gapped.

Good luck!

gregg'shorses

one of the carbs small passageways is still plugged with crud.

gwgdog66

Sounds like one of the passages in the carb may still have varnish in it. Also check to make sure the small hole in the bolt that holds the bowl on is clear.

• Like 1