Sign in to follow this  
Shawn Harrington

K181 Starter issue? not sure C-85

Shawn Harrington

Hi guys,

Seems to be a great source of experts on this site :) My C-85 won't start, it seems that the starter is getting juice but not fully engaging? can the starter get off alignment? I can hand spin the starter component that engages the engine. There just doesn't seem to be any resistance when I spin the starter motor (forgive me for not knowing the part names). I checked ground wires and wires connection to starter and all are secure. Any ideas on what to look for?

Thanks all,

Shawn in Mass.

Sparky

Try lubing it with grafite. Its a powder and grit/dirt wont stick to it like a liquid lubricant. Never use oil or something along those lines to lube a starter.

Mike............

:WRS:

rmaynard

If the starter motor is spinning correctly, then the problem is in the Bendix. When the starter spins, the Bendix (part with the small gear) is forced out toward the flywheel gear ring by centrifugal force. Dirt, oil, and grime can get inside the Bendix assembly and keep it from moving. I always use nonflammable brake cleaner to cleaned it out. After it is cleaned it should work correctly. There should also be a spring that pushes the Bendix back after the starter is disengaged.

bowtiebutler956

If you can hear the stater run when you turn the key, but the engine is not turning over, then like Maynard said its probably just the bendix needs to be worked back and forth, and some type of dry lube used on it. Can you hear the starter running?

Matt :flags-texas:

Shawn Harrington

Guys,

Thanks for the input. I do hear the starter turning. It just isn't catching the bendix I guess. I'll see if the dry lube will get it going. Thanks guys and I'll let you know.

Best,

Shawn

pfrederi

Not to hijack this thread but some of the older Kohler manuals suggest using a lubricant on the splined shaft.

It was described as a silicone grease Kohler part # 52-357-01. Anyone ever seen it???? It is $3.91 is it just th silicone dielectric grease you can buy at eh auto parts store??