Sign in to follow this  
tiggercl

Onan P220G Oil Consumption

tiggercl

Chaps,

I am using a 520H (700 hours TT) with a 60" deck working it quite hard and wish to know what the 'average' oil consumption of the Onan P220G should be per hour?

The tractor does not smoke on start-up, the breather is clean and oil stays relatively clean...

Cheers,

Paul

boovuc

Hi Paul,

I know from my experience with a P216 on a 416-8 Speed and a P220 on a 520-H, if they are run over an hour pretty hard, I don't notice any oil consumption. I'm sure there is some loss when they are really working for an hour straight but even after mine cool down to take any expansion out of the equation, I'm not using any oil. Both tractors have more than 700 hrs on them. I'll add a couple ounces to mine once or twice over the whole summer as long as the oil looks good.

Maybe I have two decent Onans! (And a third P220 on my bench).

Good Luck!

Jim_M

I have a P216 on a 416H that doesn't use a drop all summer long, it's been my main mower for years.

can whlvr

i never need to add oil to the kohlers before an oil change,sorry dont have an onan to compare it too

cheesegrader

I run a 60" deck on a 520h/Onan P220 with 700 hours.

I don't see any oil loss between oil changes every 10 hours.

Jim_M

I run a 60" deck on a 520h/Onan P220 with 700 hours.

I don't see any oil loss between oil changes every 10 hours.

I'm assuming 10 hours is a typo. that would be overkill.

Hydro

Hi Paul, I had two Onans a 416 and a 520 they never used any oil but they both had 48" decks

If you are working that 20 hard with a 60 inch deck you might want to make sure the rear cylinder is getting plenty of air otherwise you could pop the valve seat. They are known to do that.

boovuc

Hi Paul,

I do remember that on my P216, the oil cap at the top of the add tube did not fit properly. It was stripped out by the PO and since the Onans are a pressurized motor, it was sending out a very fine spray of oil. I noticed it when I started getting a rash on my face whenever I used this machine. If you have what you are seeing as a lot of oil consumption, make sure the tube from the crankcase is not leaking at the cap or at the bottom. Check around your oil filter too. Leaking there under presure may go unnoticed. If you are building crankcase pressures, your air filter and housing may have oil build up. The breather may be clogged causing some consumption.

Let us know what you find and/or what your concerns are. (How much oil are you using)?

You may have a spindle hanging causing it to work harder. Mule drive drag also?