Sign in to follow this  
stevebo

Want higher cut on my 520 with 60 inch deck-ideas?

stevebo

All-

In speaking with other members who mow with a 60 inch deck under a 520 the common theme is they cut too low even when raised up all the way they can. Has anyone come up with a solution to this problem? I thought maybe larger rear deck tires but that may not allow for an even cut. Please post what you have done to raise the cut. Thanks!

CRE1992

Stevebo I believe we talked about this last year. The problem or benefit to the 60" deck is the deep tunnel deck design. The deep deck design gives it the ability to cut better and discharge clippings better. However do to its tall nature it it taller than most other wheel horse decks and cannot be lifted as high. The 60" 520H deck that I have and the 72" deck on my Dixie Chopper are not all that different. Both decks are fabricated decks fully welded not stamped allows them to be stronger though much heavier. I agree with you the 60" deck on the 520H is a great deck with the exception of the height problem which you stated above. However like you said if taller wheels were to be installed on the back of the deck .it would most likely change the level or pitch of the deck. After talking to many landscapers they seem to think that the perfect combination is that the blade tip that is closest to the front of the deck be set 1/4" lower than the opposite tip of the blade at the rear of the deck. Now I don't know if it is possible to adjust a wheel horse deck to get to those specs or not but figured it was worth mentioning.

-Charles

Paul D.

Sounds like you need a lift kit on your tractor :auto-layrubber:

Shuboxlover

Other than what Paul suggested, I don't know what else could be done?!?!?!?

GlenPettit

A higher/firmer tire inflation, like 20# psi or more (rather than the normal 10# recommended) would help slightly (maybe 1/2" higher).

- - - On my 48" SD deck, I put on 8" rear wheels, rather than the original 6", it did raise the cut about 1" (so the grass is left about 4" tall, in my sheep pasture) but it puts a lot more pressure on the new rear deck wheels and they do wear out much quicker (replace every year) and it will leave small ruts in moist grass, but this won't work on your 60" deck.

Michigan Glen

Operator

Same problem with mine and I was thinking of changing the lift arm under neth to lift higher and adjust the rod that controls the rear gauge wheels. This springs project when I put the decks on.

mrc

hi stevebo, recently i put 26x12x12 tires on the rear of a C series. (on custom made rims from miller tire) up front i put 18x6.50x8 front tires. tractor sat higher. not a cheap idea but i did gain height. regards. mike in mass.

persof

My 312-8 with 42" RD deck cuts low also. I might modify the part that inserts into the atach matic. Toro mots have thought that we are a bunch of lawn scalpers. Most of my lawn cutting is with a Kubota at 3" in the front and side yard and 3.75" in the back. My 312 cuts at 2.5"

Francis