Sign in to follow this  
meadowfield

GT14 steering

meadowfield

I'm close to have the GT running enough to use all summer and complete the resto in the winter.

However the steering works, but seems a little wacky....

at the base of the steering sector I have a small bracket bolted on the moves the linkage down and across 90 degrees. It doesn't look like it should be there - and certainly isn't on the parts diagram - 61 and 69 bolt together. Is this bracket just left over junk? or is it there to give additional clearance of another attachment? i.e. mid grader or cutter deck?

cheers

gt14steering.jpg

meadowfield

well I did hope for some help from you guys....

Heres how the steering looked but didn't work!

steering_before.jpg

the drag link was running down the outside of the frame with a piece of angle to move it out, and the cranks were taken out!

steeringafter.jpg

here is how it now looks - we worked out that the link must run down the inside of the chassis and over the top of the mid hitch point. A detail the previous owner clearly couldn't get their head around !

I can now steer ! :)

Raider10

Thanks to me and my press. Best thing ive bought. Makes bending thick steel bar a piece of cake. :woohoo:

bowtiebutler956

Glad to here you got your GT's steering fixed. :woohoo: I've had my arbor press for several years now, and I don't think I could ever go back to not owning one. :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

meadowfield

yeh, would be a struggle without 10 tons behind a new bend :)

neil

So what does the drag linkage do Mark? i dont seem to have that set up on either of my GT14s

meadowfield

Neil,

it's part no 70 in the diagram, it connects from the bottm of the steering quadrant thingy to the crank on the top of the left spindle.

I'd be amazed if either of yours don't run in the right place....